London bikers: keep out of bike boxes or ridk fines and points

13 Posts | Latest reply on 25/03/2018 22:41:16 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Motorcyclists riding into the centre of London should avoid pulling into the adavanced stop lines, aka bike boxes, at traffic lights With the current increased police presence following a number of cyclists being killed in traffic accidents, the rules regarding the use of these boxes (for cyclists only) are being enforced more rigorously. Community support officers have been approaching bikers and pointing out the offence carries a £100 fine and 3 points penalty.
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

ha wonder if it applies to old moped wiv pedals!!  just kill the engine and cycle away when the plod approach!                                                                                                                                                                             
Wraith750's Profile
Wraith750

In: Stevenage
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

That`s odd-according to my tax disc, it say`s I ride a bicycle!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Richard T's Profile
Richard T

In: North Lincs

Wraith 750 beat me to it.
I'm looking forward to an earnest discussion with someone in uniform on this subject. Motorcyclists are also vulnerable road users, the cabability to filter into advanced stop boxes then accellerate rapidly away from them leaves us much less vulnerable to being squished by other traffic in a queue. As said above, my tax disc from Swansea also describes my vehicle as a "Bicycle". They can't have it both ways?
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

Yep coming from a legal background I would say the same and can't have it both ways.  The roads in Edinburgh also says no entry apart from Bus, Taxi and Cycle..... so when I'm working and have reason to be there i ride through these areas...down side is I know most of the cops lol

Council also marks the bays as M/C  so motor cycle although before you get into a conversation maybe worth checking how the law is stated.  If it clearly states it specifically then your onto a hiding from nowhere

madscots's Profile
madscots

Highway Code. (Point 178 states: "Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red".)

So if the lights turn to red while your in the box and stopped that is not an offence.  If you filter up and into the box and stop then your committing an offence.

driving into a bike zone when the lights are red is an offence. It carries a £60 penalty and three points on your driving licence (maximum £1,000 fine if it goes to court).
Richard T's Profile
Richard T

In: North Lincs

Quite right MS, but a typical case of "the law being an ass"?
Where I live:
a) Cylists ride on the pavement and ignore red lights, so the advanced stop lines are never used by them.
b) If they were used as intended the cyclists would be putting themselves at risk by frustrating the progress of larger faster vehicles for a considerable distance after the  lights change.

If on the other hand the law were changed such that the advanced boxes could be used by powered 2-wheelers, we could filter up to the front then accelerate away quicker into empty roads considerably reducing the risk of being sandwiched in a slow moving queue?
madscots's Profile
madscots

But that's way too sensible stop itLOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Littlefecker's Profile
Littlefecker

In: Sheffield
25% Karma25% Karma 25% Karma25% Karma

Can someone let Dave know                                                                                                                                                                             
KentishMan's Profile
KentishMan

In: West Kent
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

I'm riding into London every day at the moment and would observe that a significant minority if cyclists ride riskily, or irresponsibly. If they had to display number plates, they might start adhering to the same rules of the road as the rest of us.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

my god the world has finally gone mad what is a bike its something with 2 wheels and a seat engine or no engine omg 100 quid and 3 points is a right p take shocking once again I wonder are mag gonna have a shout about this they need to really                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

This pretty dire                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Bus Lanes -You need to take care with these, Euston road south you can use them, but turn right at the station & you can't. Make sure you read the blue square sinage..                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4688 seconds. There are 291 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption