Cbf 600

13 Posts | Latest reply on 13/03/2014 17:06:37 by Imola72 | Go to original / last post
fantasia's Profile
fantasia

In: Halifax
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Help. Brake light doesnt come on when using front break. Where do i start looking for fault . Is there a seperate bulb for it. Could it be that simple.?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Hi ... underneath the brake lever you will find a very small switch, it maybe that one of the contacts has come off, may need to be simply pushed back on.
Or ...
The switch may have dirty internal contacts, most switches are held in place with a screw (ahem) .. remove the switch, spray with WD40, especially the small plunger part, refit and try again.
Or ...
Replace the switch, put this number in ebay search bar
eBay item number:140995212907

fantasia's Profile
fantasia

Hi gremlin. Thanks very much for input. I will let you no how i get on. X                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

As Gremlin says, the likely cause is a stuck plunger in the micro switch Ermm   All the Honda front brake light switches I've come across however are just a "push fit" in the lever bracket Confused   A quick inspection of the lever assembly will confirm if this is the case Wink   Whilst holding the brake lever in the "on" position you should be able to see the tiny plunger Thumbs Up   Take a small screwdriver (or other suitable implement) and try to push the plunger in Approve   If it moves then the problem is not there but either inside the switch or the wires connected to it Thumbs Up   If the plunger doesn't move in & out freely then a little "liquid engineering" such as WD40 should be sufficient to free it up Thumbs Up   Be gentle with it, it's only made of plastic, but they are generally quite robust & reliable Wink   Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on Smile                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Front brake light switch on the cbf should be the type that is held in with a set screw and not the push in type.

Very comman failure if washed a lot or ridden in the winter. For the extra tenna get the gen honda one there much better normaly and you will get a years warranty with it. (i used to go through two or three a year when i was a courier but only ever bought one as it was under warranty) Unlike some of the cheapo pattern ones.

Also dont forget to squirt some oil in it before fitting helps keep the corrosion at bay.
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

OK Stuie, I stand corrected Embarrassed   We all live n learn Wink   But lube & regular inspection is always recommended Thumbs Up   OEM electrical parts are generally better value in the long run Approve   Particularly with Honda Geek                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Oohh yes MZ i learnt the hard way about non genuine parts especialy for honda and bmw....funnly enough yamaha seam to build there bike with parts that make the pattern stuff look good ;-)                                                                                                                                                                             
fantasia's Profile
fantasia

Thanks for your input guys. Not sorted yet. But am usless at this sort of thing. So when it stops raining im hoping to get hold of a man who can. Lol.                                                                                                                                                                              
thediver37's Profile
thediver37

In: Ruthin

Hi,

If you use WD40 (which is great for water repellant) it will corrode the electrical contacts with time.

you are best cleaning contact, drying them, then using silicon grease which is non electrical conducting and corroding of the electrical contacts. it is also a water repellent so no more corrosion of contacts.

fantasia's Profile
fantasia

Thanks for that tip. Diver. X                                                                                                                                                                             
Scorpio54's Profile
Scorpio54

In: Bodmin

Fantasia, use ACF50, you could say it is a non-conductive version of WD40; it was developed to lubricate and protect things including eletrical components like switches in hostile environments.

fantasia's Profile
fantasia

Thankyou to you all for your advice and tips. I will get some acf50 scorpio. For future. I took my bike to a friends mechanic. It was my the switch. All sorted now. Xx

Imola72's Profile
Imola72

In: Rainhill near Li
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Alternatively you could get rid of the troublesome microswitch altogether by replacing it with a Goodridge Banjo Bolt Brake Light Switch. Did this on mine after it kept playing up, you will need to bleed the brakes though:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/brake-accessories/goodridge-banjo-bolt-brake-light-switch

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4375 seconds. There are 767 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption