Identifying Triumph petrol tank

21 Posts | Latest reply on 23/03/2014 20:17:51 by Phil. | Go to original / last post
AP50's Profile
AP50

In: Kent
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi all, I have an old triumph petrol tank that I'm gonna sell but need to know what model it's from. Can anyone help me ID it? I need the £ coz someone in family had stroke recently and left disabled and unable to work. Then they got cancer - what a f ****** year.

Can anyone help. Not sure how to post picture can't seem to paste it

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Can you put the pic on your profile                                                                                                                                                                              
AP50's Profile
AP50

Smart idea ta, sorry I also sent u pm as not used to using forum - not that any one cld tell of course. Thanks - any other suggestions relying to identifying tank! Gratefully received. Ta                                                                                                                                                                              
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

It looks like it could be from a 6TA. although 6TA had a rack.. Also i don't think the flat badges are original. usually bolt on badges.

Its worth posting on triumph owners club forum. should keep them all happy for months Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

this to me looks like a tiger cub tank http://www.tigercubclub.co.uk/    more pic's https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=triumph+tiger+cub&...B300%3B183    and can you put your photo up it would nice to see you                                                                                                                                                                                   
JP's Profile
JP

I was thinking a cub tank as it looks small its a shame you don't live in the midlands you could have took it in to Vale Onslows and he would tell you can you post the size please

bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

i initially thought cub but can't find one with a raised seam. some also have hole through tank for mounting bolt. 

AP50's Profile
AP50

Tank measures approx 58cm long from mounting points at front to back and it's about 31cms wide. Will post more pics - thanks people                                                                                                                                                                             
AP50's Profile
AP50

Just uploaded some more pictures of mystery Triumph tank - none of me self as tank looks better. Looks like tank mounted with bolts at back and back. Also it only has Triumph painted / stickers on it and has area for what I assume are those rubber protector like things or possibly badges.

Really appreciate feedback so far thanks all
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

difficult to find a tank that has all the properties that yours has. looks like a t100, t110 tank but most i've found have bottom mounts not mounts like yours. it did originally have a rack but holes been filled in. sure triumph owners club could help. :-) 

is of course possible that mounts aren't original.  Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
AP50's Profile
AP50

Thanks blues biker - I emailed one of the clubs but no answer. I saw they had thing on site saying that they only want emails about membership so thought they might not welcome my question but will try another club and c if I get any joy there. Thanks again
AP50's Profile
AP50

Thanks too v rod I've tried links but no luck yet - lots of pics but finding that my tank has differences to all of the ones I've seen so far.

Cheers for help                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

You could try www.vale-onslow.co.uk if they cant identify it its not a triumph tank lol send them picks and sizes. It could be for an early 90 as its for a twin as it has 2 cut outs for the coils and only 1 fuel tap so it would be a single carb motor.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

just see pictures its of a twin because of the cut-outs on the bottom I have two thoughts in my head at the moment I'll get back to this forum watch this space [ hehe ] but now having seen the underside and only having one seem  it isn't a triumph  but having said that it could be WD        the thing with brit bikes ever now and again  they fit WD stuff and periodically they swept  the factory floor                                                                                                                                                                                 
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

Cut outs don't mean a lot. top of head is usually below bottom of tank. cutt out usuall for other sftuff like coils. 

If ya that desperate take it to the national motorcycle museum and i'm sure they've got one just like it. 

problem is all these companies were like HD. had a bits bin and used wot they had handy. mixed and matched a lot of stuff. 

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

right back with  anther two Penarth .And retract   "my bit of it isn't triumph"  it is triumph  it has little notched area on the left side front about a third of the way down the only triumph to have this is the 500 cc T100 & T100R pre unit  " this notch is visible on your picture"  now this tank go's back to the 1940-1945 BSA B31 Now on the triumph T100/T100R they was mounted by two bolts at the front on the base yours doesn't show or have them so you need to ether scratch the paint to see if they have been filed or welded up Now yours as only one petrol tap again scratch the paint just to see but that isn't a problem because they did sweep the factory floor every so often Now your tank has got the wrong mountings on for the T100/T100R yours has the mounts for 1970s +   Bonneville when they was really raiding the old stores and dustbins   on my profile you will see a file marked petrol tank there are two of your pictures one of witch clearly has the notch and one picture showing the base of two triumph tanks and the mounting that triumph used on both unit & pre unit in the late 68   so my theory is the  Bonneville mounts was put on ether by the garage down the road sort a speak or by the factory                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Also may I add the triumph pre-unit was the most popular engine to put into different frames : ie  the Norton = triton ,    but what you got is a 500cc T100 tank                                                                                                                                                                                   
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

cheers, I Thought thats wot i said.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

you did, you did ; with some uncertainty, but we didn't have  all the pictures of the tank,  and AP50 seemed to want certainty. So I went delving into my old books and I must say it was fun, memories came flooding back of my teens.      

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9844 seconds. There are 785 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption