Broken Clutch Cable

18 Posts | Latest reply on 29/04/2013 19:32:20 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hello everyone..

I'm very new to biking and this morning when I was about to set off on my Suzuki GZ125, I noticed there was absolutely no tension in the clutch lever.  When I looked and peeled back the sort of rubber protective cover where the silver cable goes into the black cable cover, it had completely snapped.  I was gutted as I can't ride my bike this weekend and what a weekend for it!  I am getting it fixed but I wanted to ask: how common is this a problem and what causes it?  My bike was apparently fully serviced before it was delivered to me.  FYI: It's a 59 plate and so surely in 4 years and 5500 miles on the clock it should still function ok?  How do I check for wear and tear on the cable in the future because I guess if I was riding the bike and that happened then that could be quite dangerous?  How would you deal with that situation?

Any input appreciated!

Nikki x
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

TBH a snapped clutch cable is a bit like a puncture, one of those annoying things that always seems to happen at the worst possible moment.
It does sound as if it's gone a bit early in the life of the bike, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. A new one is about £12 from Wemoto (Google them if you haven't heard of them) and if you don't feel up to fitting it yourself, I'm sure there will be some BM member over in Yorkshire (Emzed, where are you?) who'll be willing to help. It's only a quarter of an hour's work, fi that.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sprint900's Profile
Sprint900

In: leeds

I had a clutch cable snap on my Z650 when I was despatching,in the middle of Leeds city centre,had to stop with the kill switch and start it in gear,was an interesting day!
Dyrons on York Road (A64) used to be Suzuki dealers til recently so they may keep one in,nearest otherwise is Appleyards in Keighley who don't open sundays.Sprint motorcycles in Wakefield used to open sunday mornings and seemed to keep everything!
I'm in Leeds and while I'm no mechanic I'm sure I could change a clutch cable,done a few before.If you can get a cable and are struggling to fit it send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Guys - I really appreciate this advice - I spoke to the garage where I bought the bike and because it's still under warranty they are gonna sort it for me but they can't get the part until mid-week next week.  I did ring Dyrons and they advised the same thing, as well as several other local garages.  Coincidentally, I'm hoping to sign up for a basic motorcycle maintenance night course at a local college in September so I'm hoping to learn how to do this sort of thing for myself!  I'm really grateful for your replies though!

Cheers!

Nikki x
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

In: Colne

Maybe ask them to order you a spare so you have one to hand in case it goes again ... I have put 2 on mine in the last 3 yrs so now i carry a spare on long distance runs ...Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That's a great idea Intruder 18!  Cheers!

Approve

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Get the garage to check the run area of the cable and hopefully they replace the outer as it has done low miles could be rubbing somewhere.

Also ensure when you carry out that deep clean every now and again oil the cable but it doesn't need doing too much and just google and it is a simple thing to do but it will lengthen the life of your cable.... Got to admit in 26 years I have never had a clutch or brake cable snap on me.... Speedo yes those are a pain in the middle of camera land lol
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That's funny johnnytb, as especially on a bike I find it harder to judge what speed I am doing (everything feels faster than in a car!)...

All good advice about the clutch cable, cheers guys!
x

havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

run a spare cable along side the first one tape the ends up keep the raine out etc its there if and when you need it                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hi guys

So I rang Honda today and they've told me they won't change it for me, seems they are getting the clutch cable as a courtesy to me but they say they are not obliged to fit it.  Which leaves me in the sh*t really...  So I should receive that cable tomorrow morning but I've no idea what I am doing with it.  I've left a message at my school to see if anyone there can help me.  This is so frustrating Cry

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Come on there must be someone near Nikki that can fit it for her and if your really nice she may even make you a brew or 2                                                                                                                                                                              
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

In: Colne

Where are you ??                                                                                                                                                                              
Sprint900's Profile
Sprint900

In: leeds

I often find myself going faster than I thought I was,that's Honda Blackbirds for you.
If you get stuck fitting the cable give me a shout,I'm in Leeds so not far and have tools and some basic knowledge,can't be that hard to change?

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

Hi Nikki I fitted a clutch cable to my bike some years ago and altho it was a relatively easy job it was bleddy fiddly. If you've got a bit of patience it won't take you very long.   Whoever fits it for you watch how they do it or fit it yourself with their guidance, there's so much satisfaction when you can do your own maintenance, not to mention saving money.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hi everyone!

I have asked a guy that I know locally to look at it tomorrow.  If I have ever any problems then I will pm Sprint 900 who is local to me.  Again, thanks a million guys, it's really appreciated as I feel very lost without my little bike! :-(

Nic. xxxx
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hi there

Still without my bike for the time being but have booked a motorbike mechanic to come out and see it on Saturday morning.  Once again, thanks for all the advice and I am sure he will be able to sort it.

Nic. x

zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

In: furry tree rat h

hey nikki have pm,d you chickBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cheers zzrbabe42, I got the message.  We should defo do coffee sometime!

x

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 945 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption