New to Old?

10 Posts | Latest reply on 02/02/2013 23:04:55 by MjN | Go to original / last post
MjN's Profile
MjN

In: Basildon
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Right....I have an 2010 SV....she is lovely and I definately love the twin but....   I may have found a new beastie, TL1000, which is in my budget and looks STUNNING!    BUT.....   what's peoples opinions on going from a 2010 bike to a 1998 one? If I'm going to have a bigger twin there's no options for getting a brand new one, but is a 15 year ols bike a bad move?   Advice sort please!! lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

The TL1000 has a reputation of being a bike that can bite the rider, so I'd proceed with great caution.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-TL1000R-1998-2004-/                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

In: London

age is not too important. More important are the condition of the bike itself, the mileage and service history. There are plenty of low mileage oldies out there. In the last 15 years i haven't owned a bike younger that twenty years old (my preference) They are easier to work on and cheap. You do have to bear in mind though you are not going to get the same performance, handling and braking as a modern bike. So it's horses for courses. Check out reviews on the bike, take heed of people who are familiar with the bike and decide.
Wills's Profile
Wills

Agreed, I wouldn't be worried about age in itself as long as the bike's OK, mine are 16 and 19 years old.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

TL is a nice bike but it can be a lot to handle as has been mentioned..and the riding position is a lot different more uncomfortable on long trips than an SV... but I must say I do like them..                                                                                                                                                                             
MjN's Profile
MjN

Wills- that the reason if love one!!! Lol. :D try and tame a beastie....

I'll have a look today and see what it's like in the flesh. Hope I like it really....                                                                                                                                                                             
justjerry's Profile
justjerry

In: The Lizard
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

There's a good argument that an older bike kept in good condition will hold it's value better than a newer bike kept as well. 

Also, some of the first incarnations of some models are arguably the best ones. The manufacturers realise they've created a fire breathing monster and then proceed to tame the beasties over succeeding evolutions... spoilsports, haha  LOL

My advice would always be to try loads of bikes and find the one that suits you best  Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
MjN's Profile
MjN

Oops....bought the TL....LOL I couldn't resist - it was gorgeous in the flesh!                                                                                                                                                                               
Wills's Profile
Wills

Good luck, and go carefully. Ill look forward to seeing it at Squires or the Sun one day.                                                                                                                                                                             
MjN's Profile
MjN

ok!  :D                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4063 seconds. There are 990 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption