If helmets were optional would you still wear one?

60 Posts | Latest reply on 07/01/2013 20:06:13 by Noddy1 | Go to original / last post
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

having ridden without one when i first started on bikes i'm now happy to ware one but would like the option not to sometimes, i also have ridden without one on a number of times by ascendent                                                                                                                                                                              
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

In: Cheshire
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Whilst the sensible thing is to say yes always wear a helmet, there have been times where I just wanted to strap it to the back of the bike and ride as nature intended and feel the wind in what hair I've got left.   There are so many factors involved as well, certainly on a sporty I would say yes wear one all the time, but cruising on my SG, I'd be open to ditchin the helmet the majority of the time. I got various helmets from skids to full face and will choose on the basis of weather/distance/roads etc.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I'd always wear a helmet, having been knocked off in the past it's a no brainer for me.  It doesn't matter how experianced a rider you are there is always that small percentage that you could come off.                                                                                                                                                                              
buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

In: benfleet essex
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

if there was the  option  of not wearing a helmet  the  roads will be  full of inexperienced  16 year old idiots  all  chosing to  go  helmetless  cuz its  cool .. right up  to  the  point  when there head explodes on impact  with  the  road..  so  in my  opinion  its a good job  the  law is exactly as it  is  ..                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

But that would be there choice

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

But that would be there choice

havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

way back in the 70s when i was a kid ? i used to wear pispot style just to keep me lugs warm on ralierunabout later had honda c50 push rod version 35 mph max down hill if you could stand the vibs and the screemin of the engine i still used pp helmet to keep ears warm one day had a littke bump with the bike bike suffered a bit front wheel spindle ended up behind the foot rests me ? well 2 busted leggs the helmet was like crazy paving just above the peek of the hat inch and half lower top of head would have come off only threw the hat out 1 year ago                                                                                                                                                                             
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

In: Cheshire

It would never happen here but I quite like the American laws (or some of them). Though they are not perfect and differ from state to state, with some sensibility and thorough thinking could work well in any country.   By simply putting restrictions on who wears helmets as a mandatory requirement would make a difference. Examples such as, age restrictions, motorcycle type and BHP, length of riding experience, carrying additional insurance.     And yes I know some will disagree but this is just my opinion and thought I'd throw it in the pot.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Dunno about that Sie, when some careless, stupid and seemingly-blind driver of a car or truck hits you in a head on collision, all the driving experience in the world or age etc ain't gonna help you more than a helmet on yer head might......   Frankly I don't understand those who would rather never wear one, but as someone else said it is their choice in their end if they wanna take that risk they should be able to have that right.                                                                                                                                                                             
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

In: Colne

It would be down to personal choice if it was not law ... but ive seen too many people with parts of their face and head missing because they wore an open face helmet to make me buy nothing but full face ones ...nothing can beat the sensation of cruising in the sun on a nice bike without a helmet ..most of us have done it ... is it safe though ... I will leave that one to you !! Personally i dont think it is ...Thats My opinion ..

Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

i think one of the problems now is badly fitting helmets, many people get them far to big or the wrong shape                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thats a very good point Bill, I totally agree with you there, if Im pillion on a mate's bike and don't have my own helmet none of their helmets ever fit me and Im dubious about borrowing 'em for even a short journey :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

But..... ya wearin a helmet and the question was....   If helmets were optional would you still wear one??.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yes Suzi as I said at the start of the posts/thread, I would Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cool Lulu ive had a few sherberts ~(beers)~ and i ws doing my bouncer "keep topic in correct mode" bit chick Wink Ermm   In the morning of course i wont care if we all digress.... bt just doin me bit pmsl Big smile LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I know Suzi, I do bouncer myself a few times without being authorized haha LOL wonder why Bill didn't pipe up too? Hope ya had a good evening!!! x                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

~Hahahah Bill will no doubt pipe up soon enuf Wink LOL   Yeah brill thanks lulu Big smile x                                                                                                                                                                                 
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

In: Barnsley

I would always wear all the safety gear available to me.

I work in car insurance and have heard people say things like 'I changed my mind, so moved into the other lane and the person in that lane hit me so it must be their fault'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No! you numpty it's your fault, you didn't  look!

In a car that can be a minor bump, but on a bike, that could be fatal and I'm not prepared to risk my life for the sake of a numpty!

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Interesting comments, some valid points made. Have to say I am surprised by how many would still wear a helmet and wonder if their age is a factor in the answers?   By that I mean would those who said they would still wear a helmet have the same opinion when they were in their 20s?   Are there any younger members with an opinion they'd like to share?                                                                                                                                                                              
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

went to a party in stroud many yeasrs ago....as we were about to leave..bloke i knew quite well zoomed off on kawaasaki triple....binned it on first corner...drunk as skunk..i was first on scene...not nice seeing someones bottom jaw hanging off and half their face ripped away....next day went out and bought better lid...werent even a second thought...when drunken prat nearly ddid for me in Brum in the seventies was only lid that saved head ..everything else was patty meat mix.....so yes...no brainer...literally...but all personal choice has element of risk...dunnit?

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 573 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption