If helmets were optional would you still wear one?

60 Posts | Latest reply on 07/01/2013 20:06:13 by Noddy1 | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

I would. Apart from the obvious safety aspect, I have fine hair and it knots if it's allowed to roam free in the breeze, plus I get earache.   Would you wear a helmet if you didn't have to?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Yes I sure would Sandi.....for my own peace of mind...                                                                                                                                                                             
GS1085's Profile
GS1085

In: Billericay

Would depend on the circumstances for me.

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

I'm curious GS, please explain?                                                                                                                                                                              
nellie's Profile
nellie

In: nottingham
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

oh most definately.....as the author of a few undignified dismounts me noggin always seems to beat everything to point of first impact lolThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Haven't you fitted those stabilisers yet, Nells? Tongue LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Well Sandi as one of those who first learned how to ride without a helmet Embarrassed   I can honestly say that in some situations I would like the option NOT to wear one again Approve   When riding a sidecar outfit Thumbs Up   When strapped into my crash tested C1 with seat belts Thumbs Up   And on some quiet rural roads on fine summer days Thumbs Up   I could wax lyrical for ages about "freedom of choice" Embarrassed   But suffice to say I miss having that "choice" Unhappy   But on cold wet dreary days on an unfaired bike Ermm   I wouldn't swap my "full face" helmet for a gold pig Wink                                                                                                                                                                               
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

I didn't know, until recently, what year the helmet law started, turns out it was the same year I started to ride. Typical lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

Most of the time I would wear a helmet, but now and again when bimbling along a quiet road, on a sunny day it's nice not too.

Having said that the first time I did that within 100 yards some insect came in an intercept course and straight into my ear!

So beware of unexpected dangers.
colin675's Profile
colin675

In: Romney marsh
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

Always quite like my face not the best looking but the only one I have.                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

absolutely.   only got one brain...not much of one to be fair, but would like to keep it and being a complete clutz safety comes first.                                                                                                                                                                             
TheSlasher's Profile
TheSlasher

In: chesterfield
30% Karma30% Karma 30% Karma30% Karma

I have never worn anything but a full faced lid, once a bee hit my cheekbone when visor was up, not a pleasant experience... just glad it wasnt a wasp as the bee was trapped inside the helmet lol couldnt wear my specs for a week after. Never tried an open faced one, and on hot summers days it would be great to just go naked.... helmet wise, but not sure I would go without on runs, for safety reasons
MjN's Profile
MjN

In: Basildon

Yup, only time I've not worn one is riding the bike into the depot after washing it. Just feels right to have it one really. Never had any other options. :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

On public roads definately                                                                                                                                                                             
Roughie's Profile
Roughie

In: Surrey
29% Karma29% Karma 29% Karma29% Karma

I would always wear a helmet Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

I'm in the Fred Hill camp on this topic and given the option would not wear one.                                                                                                                                                                              
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

I ride a trike but after seeing the state of me helmet after I was side swiped by a car whilst riding a bike I would ALWAYS wear me lid                                                                                                                                                                              
Nowgotabike's Profile
Nowgotabike

In: Crick

I would always wear mine - I've never known a time when you couldn't wear one so it is just second nature to me.... a bit like buckling up when you get in a car.  Its just one of those things you do on auto-pilot!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

~Fred Hill~ was amazing - i still think it shoudl be choice liek it is on a pushbike.....   Not sure i would feel right without one as liek others didnt go on a bike till 1982 ...   on on motorways etc defo...bt a wee bimble in the summer wow i think that would be awesome   I recall a very good friend of mine only last year i think it was goign to the shop on his bike to fetch some milk and when he got back saying do i look like something missing....   He had been riding along thinkig wow this is a lovely breeze... got to petrol station.... got back on bike and realised had gone without his lid all along main road etc LOL - bet it was ace tho Wink and i bet onlookers tought.....~typical bad ass harley rider~ hahahahaha Clap Party Thumbs Up Ying Yang                                                                                                                                                                             
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country

I usually always wear a full face flip top Caberg, I have an open face harley lid as well that I once wore while riding to Cumbria on the M6 at 70 I got hit on the mouth by something and arrived looking i'd had an extreme trout pout lol.  In saying all of that and knowing the very sensible reasoning for wearing full face/open face lids - I would love the choice, I once rode a back country road with no lid, on a hot summers day, not far but it was absolutely awesome-I loved it Evil Smile                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6104 seconds. There are 567 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption