Battery time of year

15 Posts | Latest reply on 29/01/2013 13:33:42 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

This is the time of year when we are much more likely to hear the dreaded "groan" from the starter or hollow "click" at the solenoid Disapprove (unless you are lucky enough to have a kickstart Wink)   The following product I CAN personally recommend to releive those symptoms Smile   I have used one now for two winters and where I live we get several degrees of frost regularly, even in summer months Unhappy   These batteries,even when poorly attended to, will crank even the most reluctant engine into life, if there any suggestion of life in it Approve   They recover from deep discharge much faster too Thumbs Up   GEL type batteries are not only an investment towards peace of mind, they can also be installed in a variety of positions without fear of acid spillage and are maintenance free Big smile   Treat your bike to a Christmas present she/he will thank you for, for years to come Heart   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motobatt-MBTZ10S-Upgrade-Moto...4607d9cf7c     I'm not promoting this particular supplier, just the type of battery Geek   Oh, and they are "Quadflex" which means they can be fitted either way round Wink                                                                                                                                                                               
boristhebold's Profile
boristhebold

In: chelmsford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Very interesting Emzed had probs with T100 battery dis charging a few weeks ago will look into these gel batteries in the new year!                                                                                                                                                                              
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

Be aware,there like many other things in life many varying qualities of gel batteries. I personally keep away from cheap stuff mostly from China or Taiwan areas.
What exactly is an AGM battery?
An AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery is a lead acid battery that is sealed using special pressure valves and is completely maintenance-free. The electrolyte is absorbed in separators consisting of a sponge like mass of matted glass fibres which uses a recombination reaction to prevent the escape of hydrogen and oxygen gases normally lost in a liquid lead-acid battery. They are non-spillable, and therefore can be operated in virtually any position. However, upside-down installation is not recommended. Once fully charged they can be left for long periods without discharging or needing recharging. They have a very high discharge current ability ensuring excellant cold starting characteristics, where applicable. Message posted by rossoandy21 on 19 December 2012 at 11:35    Click here to report this post to a moderator rossoandy21 @ 19/12/2012 11:35:03 Click here to report this post to a moderator
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

ooer soz about white txt...                                                                                                                                                                             
boristhebold's Profile
boristhebold

In: chelmsford

Cheers R/A , thought i was having a migraine trying to read your white text though!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

That's what you get when you "copy & paste" stuff Boris Wink   As for things made in China or Taiwan there is NO truth in the rumours that their products are in any way "inferior"   These are totally spurious allegations put about by folk who dont know what they talking about (sorry Andy but on this occasion you are just plain wrong and ill informed)   The vast majority of products now made in China are made to a much higher spec and standard than many British or European ever used to be   Highly respected "Global" brands such as : BMW,Rolls Royce,Mercedes,Ford and GMC have components and equipment made in China   As for Taiwan, the most trusted brands in electronics such as Sony,Panasonic,Phillips and Samsung have a wide variety of equipment and components manufactured there   So a GEL battery made in China is quite likely to be "top of the range" regardless of it's price tag   The AGM "Quadflex" battery was developed in Germany and is now manufactured in China to reduce production costs NOT quality As with most things these days the technology is becoming universal and "intelectual" and "design" copyright is constantly flouted by Chinese factories and only "snob" value retains the "Brand Loyalty" in the face of common sense   I've not done any research on his (Andy's) much vaunted Oddesy brand but if they aren't made in China, yet, it wont be long                                                                                                                                                                               
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Ive just copied and pasted this from another thread o mine Wink     I've lost count of the number of folk I've watched in car parks (and at home) completely flatten a battery trying to start a car with all the lights,heater,heated screens,wipers, foot on the brake not handbrake and lord knows how many other gizmo's turned on whilst doing so  Confused Just turning all that crap off, on the odd occasion when some have allowed me to help, has got them started   Often the main culprit of low battery condition is short winter journeys Cranking an engine over till it starts takes a hefty chunk out of the battery A few of those, combined with very short trips (IE school runs,shop runs ) during winter months when lights are needed more than usual, will soon have a battery groaning   I have been told (by a reliable source) that it can take "up to 20 miles" to put back into a battery what you take out with 1 start Wink   Not everyone thinks about the state of the battery till it cries enough and lets them down Shocked And not everyone has a garage or shed, let alone a battery conditioner Unhappy   So do your vehicles a favour this year, be it bike car or both, spare a thought for your poor old battery and give it a treat eh ?                                                                                                                                                                               
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

I agree to a point Emz....certainly in the electronics field and also automotive design the far east is now a force to be reckoned with. The Oddesy is guaranteed for 5yrs  and in my experience last several years past that too. The quadflex is a relative newcomer so no one wil have had one longer than a year or two? So unproven as of yet? Technology and production may well be the equal,but is the back up and warranty as good here in the UK?  Again I just dnt know about the quadflex,the Odesey I can vouch for personaly. Time will tell...and maybe the Premium brand will have to take its manufacturing to China too? I think currently USA built? A matter of opinions and experience here gives different viewpoints, there no wrong or right really.                                                                                                                                                                             
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

Take a look at bikes built in China..good but still not Japanese good....even though several jap factories have production lines there now they still often dnt match the home built jap bikes quality.Its mostly the smaller bikes entrusted to satelite factories still.I guess as time moves on and economics force more production to move to the emerging economies we will see better and better bikes built away from japan...                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Touché Andy Wink   Time indeed will tell Approve   I just hope I last long enough to report on the "long term" performances of the far east produced products Ermm   I would like to think I'll "outlast" my battery but who knows Wacko   But I'm almost certain it'll last longer than the lead acid batteries I've bought over the previous 5 years LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
GS1085's Profile
GS1085

In: Billericay

Motobatt batteries are the best on the market, superior cranking power etc. I use one on my chop, and its the dogs nob of batteries.

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

I have to agree GS Thumbs Up   I have two Motobatt Quadflex batteries now Approve   Best I've ever had Big smile   Even in really bad frost and snow they deliver the cranking amps Wink   And because they are Quadflex and come with dual terminals Geek   And spacers which can help make them fit different battery compartments Thumbs Up   I now only need the two batteries for four bikes Cool                                                                                                                                                                               
dougie's Profile
dougie

In: mkt drayton
21% Karma21% Karma 21% Karma21% Karma

dunna know but dont want a battery from the makers of the dreamliner ones                                                                                                                                                                              
gazza123's Profile
gazza123

In: Mansfield

Great Battery's,
Already had one for a while now,
Also the new Lithium, are a good product, but a lot more expensive.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I'm still using the battery which came with the bike when new in 2006, I use a CTEK xs3600, which is like an optimate, but better quality, to optimise the battery when the bike is not in use. Alternatively what I used to do was to charge the battery then connect it up to the smallest 12v bulb I could find for a week or 2, then charge again & keep repeating this to keep the battery alive ..... I haven't had to buy a new battery in many years .

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8125 seconds. There are 1761 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption