Heated Grips

38 Posts | Latest reply on 29/01/2013 13:38:13 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

Maybe a little late for Christmas now Ermm   I was going to post this last week before I was poorly Disapprove   But I got distracted and forgot Embarrassed   Still plenty of winter months when they could prove useful though Wink   I'm not making any recommendations as I have no knowledge of any of them, make of them what you will Ermm   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400347910875?ssPageName=STRK:...1436.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281015522174?ssPageName=STRK:...1436.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400354686585?ssPageName=STRK:...1436.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390375134648?ssPageName=STRK:...1436.l2649   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300784274101?ssPageName=STRK:...1438.l2649                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

only thing I'd say is that when i was insuring my bike i was told that heated grips were classed as a modification.    Girl I work with swears by em.   I think she uses Knox. 

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

You say it's a safety mod to so you dont suffer from numb fingers making the bike safer                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Thanks for your observations Rowanblossom   But, both Knox and Oxford "brands", although well known, are very expensive Disapprove   For ostensibly the same thing Wacko (some bits of wire with 12 volts running through em Geek)   Non of these sets are more than £30 Big smile   Which in these economically strained times Unhappy   Has gotta be worth a look, at least Ermm   As for insurance companies, I'm never surprised at the new exemptions/exclusions they promulgate Confused   AS JP says the safety argument can always be made Thumbs Up   But some manufacturers fit them as "standard" on large tourers Approve   Would insurers class those as "modified" machines Question   It's a bit like paper,stone,scissors with insurers, but a little common sense, research and perseverance usually prevails Approve   As always with those "charlatans" Angry   Have your "ammunition" ready and keep your powder dry Wink                                                                                                                                                                               
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

oooh ta JP, will do that when the insurance is to be renewed. RB                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Glad you've learned something from the exercise Rowan Wink   Now go and get yer hands warm Approve   With whatever "Brand" you are comfortable purchasing Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                                 
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I bought some grips on ebay for £6.50. I havn't fitted them yet, so can't report on them.                                                                                                                                                                              
xj's Profile
xj

In: London

i also swear by them. when you fit them wire them thru a relay so they turn off with the ignition so they don't drain yer battery.                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

My son has wired his via his trickle charge point, then just unplugs them when he parks his bike.  

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

These have just appeared and look good value too Thumbs Up   I'm gonna blag a pair o these just to have on the "shelf" Big smile     http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140679718518?ssPageName=STRK:...1438.l2649                                                                                                                                                                             
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH

I agree with the relay idea. I have fitted a relay next to the fuse box. The wire to the relay goes to the spare fuse and the wire to the coil on the relay goes to the feed to the rear brake light switch, so it only works when the ignition is switched on.
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Well I agree with Tim and XJ about the fitting of a "fused" relay Approve   As they draw quite a heavy current  (1.5 - 2 Amps ) Geek   But wiring them to the ignition circuit in any way is a "bad" idea  IMO  Disapprove   I recommend wiring them to a seperate isolator switch Thumbs Up (preferably ulluminated or at least with their own lamp)   This is for two important reasons   1 ... you have to"physically" switch them on so you know you've done it and the lamp tells you so and is a reminder that they are on Wink (get into a pre/post ride "habit" last on 1st off Thumbs Up)   2 ...  in the event of a low battery in bad/cold weather, they are not a drain on it (battery) till after the engine has been started Big smile    Just my extra 2 pennorth Cool                                                                                                                                                                                   
xj's Profile
xj

Have wired both my relay wires into my rear brake light circuit. Ignition off, grips off. I have the oxfords and if the battery doesn't have enough juice to power them they won't come on and the 'on' light for the grips flashes to warn me of low battery. I fitted taco urbano neoprene muffs too, a bit more pricey and designed for scooters, but they are amazing. Have been using oxford and tech7 muffs for years and the urbano just blow them away. Just under 100 mile round trip to work all year and have even had my hands get too hot whilst ice is forming on my visor.
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Well I still think that regardless of brand or price Ermm   Wiring anything else to come on with the ignition is a "bad" idea Disapprove   Anything which draws extra unnecessary current from the battery whilst trying to start the engine is just plain crazy IMO Wacko   Particularly this American fetish of having the headlights wired in Disapprove   I know some are supposed to have some kind of isolator to knock the light off whilst the starter is being activated   But that is no substitute for a "light switch" Thumbs Up   I've lost count of the number of folk I've watched in car parks (and at home) completely flatten a battery trying to start a car with all the lights,heater,heated screens,wipers, foot on the brake not handbrake and lord knows how many other gizmo's turned on whilst doing so  Confused Just turning all that crap off, on the odd occasion when some have allowed me to help, has got them started   Often the main culprit of low battery condition is short winter journeys Cranking an engine over till it starts takes a hefty chunk out of the battery A few of those, combined with very short trips (IE school runs,shop runs ) during winter months when lights are needed more than usual, will soon have a battery groaning   I have been told (by a reliable source) that it can take "up to 20 miles" to put back into a battery what you take out with 1 start Wink   Not everyone thinks about the state of the battery till it cries enough and lets them down Shocked And not everyone has a garage or shed, let alone a battery conditioner Unhappy   So do your vehicles a favour this year, be it bike car or both, spare a thought for your poor old battery and give it a treat eh ?                                                                                                                                                                               
xj's Profile
xj

absolutely agree emzed, drawing too much current when starting is never a good idea. I was a bit cautious about mentioning brands, or expense as it always causes bad feeling and percieved snobbery but i felt that letting people know of the interesting and useful feature of a battery monitor on the grips and the unusual step of using scooter muffs on a motorcycle outwieghed the possible negativity caused. Looking for the most suitable accessories involves engaging the opinions and experiences of others, and a thread on keeping your hands warm seemed the ideal place to offer my experience with such products. I for one am happy to save up until i have the product that suits my needs, and if it wasn't for garnering honest personal experience instead of sales spiel i wouldn't know what i wanted.
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Quite right XJ, regarding Scooter stuff Wink   I've never been a subscriber to the animosity between bikes & scooters Disapprove   Particularly as it was mainly a fiction created by the tabloid media Angry   I personally started my two wheeled forays on a Lambretta LI 150 Smile   There are a wealth of great accessories in the scooter world these days Thumbs Up   Many with cross fittment applications to bikes Approve   Pleased to see that you've managed to get what you want without feeling pressured into "bike specific" products Big smile                                                                                                                                                                               
xj's Profile
xj

my first powered two wheeler was also a 150 lambretta. the first ptw i came off was also a 150 lambretta funnily enough. great fun in a straight line but never got the hang of cornering the damn thing.                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

The old "widey" was a bit of a devil on corners Shocked   I was forever scraping the footboards and getting the rear wheel airbourne Thumbs Down   The worst thing was the "magic wand" gearchange on the handlebars Wacko   I spent more time trying to "find" another gear than actually making progress Confused   By the time I'd eventually "got" 2nd gear Ermm   It was going so slow I needed 1st again LOL                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I got them as standard on the new K1300 first time I've had em, must say wish I had fitted them on all my bikes before....so nice to have warm digits even if gloves get soaked.... You won't regret it but people definitely get them fitted so when you turn of the ignition they also go off....nothing worse than a flat battery....and from your own doing...
xj's Profile
xj

i think i may have had a damascus moment. fitting a solenoid allows power to the switch for the grips, not the grips themselves. so when the ignition is off it is impossible to turn them on, or if they are on they are turned off, and when the ignition is on it allows power to the switch so you can turn them on or have them off. it doesn't mean they come on with the ignition.   Smile                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9688 seconds. There are 1619 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption