Winter clean and protect

42 Posts | Latest reply on 18/01/2013 00:44:53 by Intruder18 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I'm gonna be giving the Hawg a good clean down with in the next few weeks and about time too! WD40 on a rag should help aid the process and autosol but whats the best for keeping the all the grime off if i decide to take it out for a ride over winter??                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Wash down after every ride lots of hot soapy water to get rid of the salt and road grime. if I use mine after washing it down as above I hose it down with lots of hot water as drys better and desolves any remaining salt then light polish with solvo  or wipedown WD40 as both leave a gressy coating then good waxing to the paintwork
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Moving this thread from the Technical forum to the 'Bikes, Products & Services' forum.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Why Sandi its not a service or product its advice so Tecnical is right thread                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ACF 50...                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

cheers all                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

JP,  Bluey typed   ...whats the best for keeping the all the grime off if i decide to take it out for a ride over winter??   isn't that product advice Bluey is asking for?     If Bluey wants it moving back I can move it back, no problem.                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

ACF50 is great but does tend to develop a protective layer of grime.
If you can cope with the mike looking shite all winter use it, in the spring when you clean it off the bike will be fine underneath.
If you want the bike to look shiny all the time try that scottoiler F365, you will need to keep re-applying it after every wash but it works well too.

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Moving this topic back to 'technical' forum as requested by Bluey                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

ACF 50 for me but then my bike is laid up for winter

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

acf50 for me too - keeps the salt off wen riding on the winter roads - yeah me bike looks grimey bt that dont bother me at all                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

is it a one coat application or do you wash it off and re-apply after every ride out??                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

you dont have to wash it off adn reapply every time i dont think coz it protects and stops the salt gettig through so you can leave it a couple outings or so well that is what i do bt the full destructions are on the tin   it was designed for aircraft and boats originally bt it is about 12 quid a can i think - you coudl give it a go and see what you think?   but yeah you do need to reapply as you see necessary so to speak                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

yep what suz said.. quite expensive but cheaper than replacing rusty bits, and a little does go a long way (oo-err Smile), I normally spray on to get in all the crevices, then for the easier to reach bits put some on a cloth and wipe it on... it also smells nice when it gets hot.. Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH

The basic rule I go by is, if there is any salt on the road, the bike stays in the garage. If I do have to take it out, I clean with a jet spray straight after I get back. Every inch which is why I use a spray.                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

my basic rule is that the bike goes in the garage beginning of October and comes out end of March so dont have much trouble with salt or grit on the road Smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i would have missed a brill lil ride today with gorgeous sunshine, autumn leaves and trees if i had done that bill Wink...... acf50... who cares if the roads are salty Wink Big smile x  good spray down when home get any salt off... no need to acf50 again till a couple more rides... Simples Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

i'd of missed going over to Liverpool today and buying a quad bike if i'd been out on a bike today Suzi so glad i was not Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

Bill hope you get lots of snow so you can play on the quad                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

i'v been thing of sticking the front end on a fireblade  jp                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8590 seconds. There are 1360 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption