Culture in Manchester

13 Posts | Latest reply on 17/10/2012 13:31:41 by kwakgirl | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I was thinking of going to some of these events, if anyone else fancied going? I won't be on the bike - she's going away for the winter shortly (I know, I know! I used to laugh at 'fairweathers'!!) and I wondered if just in general they might be of interest on here?

John Rylands library :
Nosferatu: with musical accompaniment

Wednesday, 31 October
7.30pm - 9pm

Join us in the Library's Gothic splendour to celebrate a truly spooky Hallowe'en. We will be screening the silent film classic Nosferatu (cert. PG) with atmospheric piano to help create the mood...
Fifty Years Of A Clockwork Orange

20 August 2012 to 27 January 2013

What's it going to be then, eh? Anthony Burgess (1917-93) was a Manchester-born novelist, poet, playwright, composer, linguist, translator and critic.

Please be advised that some of the images on display in this exhibition are not appropriate for viewing by younger visitors.

Manchester Art Gallery:

http://www.manchestergalleries.org/whats-on/thursday-lates/
Thursday Lates Goes Dark

October 25th 6 - 8.45pm

Manchester Art Gallery explores some of the more supernatural themes from its collection at this haunting time of year

In Death of a Viking tour, come and meet some real life viking enactors and listen to a talk on Frank Dicksee's Death of a Viking with curator Hannah Williamson

Eccentronic Research Council show the film of their concept album, 1612 Overture. A tale of the Pendle Witches trial, marking the 400th anniversary of the persecution and hanging of 11 people accused of witchcraft in the Pendle Hills.

Skewed cues and dark hues from obscure horror themed records with Time Burglar DJs

The only one I might not go to is the Nosferatu thing as I'm out that night. I was thinking of suggesting bonfire night, too...
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

I quite like the *sound of a silent halloween movie with atmospheric piano. Tis shame I is permanently skint. *No pun intended lol.   I notice there are no prices for these events, Sal, are they free entry?                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yeah, they are :)  John Rylands is a terrific library - gothic and atmospheric, so it would be quite creepy :)                                                                                                                                                                              
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

culture and manchester in the same sentence??? Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Plenty going on here! Wink                                                                                                                                                                               
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Double buggerations, it's free and I live miles away from it Unhappy                                                                                                                                                                                  
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

ay i know surprise they havent turned John Rylands Library into flippin apartments! lol though it is fabulously gothic!                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Liverpool was *city of culture* not too long ago kwakgirl, so I suppose us Mancs must be really cultured.(ex Manc too aren't you?)   The one that would interest me most Sal would be Pendle Witches one, quite fascinating all that stuff.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Ah yes, the Demdike Brood - quite misunderstood methinks!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Few of us in here who would have ended up on the ducking stool if we'd been born in the 17th century!

kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

old red! im still a manc....you dont become an ex manc you take a little bit of it with you wen u leave....in my case the accent lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Is being a bit of a manc any worse than being a bit of a twit?Tongue

kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

LOL @ XK dont tell me ur thick skin is thinning sumwot??? Wink                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5469 seconds. There are 731 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption