steering dampner for my trike

6 Posts | Latest reply on 01/08/2012 01:15:50 by nellie | Go to original / last post
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

I have a draggie 650 trike, I have have progressive springs put into the front forks but still have a wobble in the front steering.
Ive heard that having a steering dampner fitted will resolve this problem,
has anyone got any advice as to which dampner I would need n which is the best also the best way to have tham fitted

thanx
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Is it a permanent wobble? If so odds are the geometry is out somewhere.
While a steering damper will reduce the problem you should dig a little deeper for the cause. If it's the usual hit a bump and it kicks sort of wobble then a steering damper is the way to go. That or if if you have deep pockets or a fairy godmother leading link folks.
Any standard damper will do the job and they are fitted exactly the same as you would on a bike. Most are adjustable, just don't over damp or your wrists will hate you after a few sharp bends.

drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

thanx gloom, its just a wobble wen I hit a bump in the road (im keeping an eye out for a fairy god mother though lol)                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

There a simple fix frame to top/bottom yoke then just adjust the damping start at min and incress in small amounts try and adjust on the same pice of road so you are working on the same bump if you get my drift                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

try adjusting the rear tyre pressures up or down by a few psi Wink helped on the trike I built :)                                                                                                                                                                             
nellie's Profile
nellie

In: nottingham
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

hiya drobess....  depends on the front end you are using.... as its a bike trike the steering geometry is still set for two wheels with a sharp rake angle (angle of forks from vertical ) for leaning into corners .....as a trike dont lean, the steering is magnified and small corrections to the direction you are traveling in turn into wobbles or shakes.....the forward position of the fork centers to the steering pin can also makes things worse..... as gloom said the expensive way is leading link forks which moves the front wheel forward altering the rake angle ( makes it bigger ) and at the same time reduces the bite of the tyre ...and shake goes away.... if you want to keep your forks as atandard another way is to have offset yokes which also pushes the front wheel forward (cheaper than leading link forks but still not cheap ).... a steering damper will only " hide " the problems and not cure it plus running the tyres soft ill only cause early tyre wear....Unhappy i work part time at my mates trike shop and this is a common problem for bike trikes  and boom style trikes with motorcycle front ends ..... a lot of peaple fall into the trap of bung an axle on and bingo its a trike and thats it.... but its a lot more involved than is obvious...... right turned off my serious head Big smile...so pm me if you need to know owt more... be glad to help out........Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2031 seconds. There are 586 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption