Puntures

18 Posts | Latest reply on 16/07/2012 17:30:23 by esspique | Go to original / last post
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

Dunlop Roadsmart on less than 1K ago.
Back from Scotland today and, what's that shiny thing in my back tyre. Ooo it's a bloody nail.
TBFA!!!!!!!

So the choices are:
New tyre (let's not be silly I'm not made of money)Get it plugged by someone, if they will.Punctureseal. Tempting cos I've got a bottle in the garage.What do you think?

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

If the nail is in the treaded area there should be no problem having a repair done but if thay say no dont try and do a self repair it really is not worth it                                                                                                                                                                              
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

In: Rugeley In The S
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

I'm jp, no worries in having a repair done. just ring some places up before you take it too them to make sure they will do a repair. I run a plugged tyre a few years ago after a similar incident. never had any problem or lost any pressure out of the tyre either.
esspique's Profile
esspique

In: Huddersfield and
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

If its only a small nail, pull it out see what happens, if it hisses and goes down quick. Plug it, if it goes down very slowly ie, over night or 2 days, punture seal or tyre weld. I always carry a large tin of tyre weld, used it on FJ1200, BMW k100 and my camper van, never had a problem it.
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

I've also run on a plugged tyre Thumbs Up   The guy who fixed it (National Tyres Barnsley)   Told me he reguarly fitted them and even on "race" bike tyres Wink    That was good enough recommendation for me Approve   Oh, and I had known him for 20 odd years so he had no reason to try to impress me Smile   Get it plugged mate or its a total waste of rubber and money Disapprove   After all we must do "our" bit towards saving the planet Big smile                                                                                                                                                                               
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

Thing is that little bit of rubber is all that's between you and gravel rash. So do you tend to push the bike and get your knee down/ride two up alot or are you a steady speed nothing silly sort of guy.

If the first change it.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

If you are going to have it repaired they only tend to repair punctures in the main contact patch with the road and not on the outer edges of the tyre. Good luck!

esspique's Profile
esspique

Bit gloomy, gloom, Get your knee down? on a TDM, you're just askin' for gravel rash, lol. Get some tyre weld in it.                                                                                                                                                                             
spaceboy4's Profile
spaceboy4

In: stockport

i would,nt use tyre goop, tyres run cool with that s~##e in.. cool tyres = no grip.. you have two choices  repair/plug renew hoop Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

Update.
I put the ultraseal in, it helped but still lost pressure over half a day. Not good.
Checked various things on-line and plug/patch repairs only recommended up to 75mph. Again not good cos just now and again it's necessary to break a law to keep body and soul together.
Local bikes shops all said the same... new tyre time.
So although it hurts my wallet a new tyre it is.
This decision is based on the fact the sodding thing will inevitably fail somewhere in the middle of France/Germany when I'm over there next month. If I was just going to be pottling about close to home it might have been a different decision.
F'in nails !!!!!!

Spare change gov'nr?
esspique's Profile
esspique

He's only got a nail in it, anybody would thing he had 2 x 2 RSJ stuck in it. If the offending nail was a 10mm dia bolt or screw, then yes, on an R1 or GSXR, renew. But a nail, on a TDM? tyre weld.                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

Nah, tyre weld works but tend to go off after a few of hundred miles. Been there, done that. Although it was our lasses bike thankfully Thumbs Up
Bit miffed about the ultraseal not working though!

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

TDMs im sure are a tubed trye and you cant put goop in a tube so theres your problem as to why its still going down

esspique's Profile
esspique

I've had no pros at all with it, used it loads of times and I do thousands of miles a year. But it will only seal small holes, nails screws, not bigger stuff. What happened with the ultraseal?                                                                                                                                                                             
esspique's Profile
esspique

Well JP, you've just answered his question then, stick a new tube in it, don't need a new tyre.

Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

Apart from the small matter of TDM's not running tubed tyres. Are you thinking of TDR's?
Ultraseal changed their name to Puncturesafe for some reason. Still didn't work though. Perhaps if I'd gone for a 20 mile blat it might have worked... or I might be stuck 10 miles from home is the rain!

At least it's only a puncture. The bike was a bit squirrelly coming back from Scotland, I thought me shock might be loosing it's damping qualities.
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

The hoon down Loch Eck was fun though Tongue
I fink it might be now one of my fav roads.

esspique's Profile
esspique

I didn't say TDMs had tubed tyres, JP did. That puncturesafe, is that the stuff you put in before you get the puncture and its supposed to seal it with out you knowing? If it is, no point in putting tyre weld it, you'll have to have it repaired by a tyre man.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8906 seconds. There are 606 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption