What makes a Biker?

47 Posts | Latest reply on 18/07/2012 19:50:30 by Viking Tel | Go to original / last post
hurtz's Profile
hurtz

In: Farnborough
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I got bullied into getting rid of my bike many moons ago,  and have always felt drawn to the site of a biker going past, as if i was on the bike at the time mixed with a real sense of loss.
Having got on a bike, all be it pilly, a few times recently I described it as realising i have never breathed properly before. My first real deep breath. The motorbike and me were at one and I truly felt joy and freedom, alive with it.
It wasn't a status symbol. It wasn't a power trip or a chance to head turn and I have been truly miserable in between. I know that a pilly ride out would put my troubles away for me. The power of the engine and freedom i feel are un-matched by anything else.
I wear fully protective gear as I have already suffered a bad accident and I am a mum and take my risks of injury seriously. I don't care what the rider wears, not that shallow, and do not buy for an image myself.
Its in ur blood or it isn't. Thanks dad for that gift. x

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I'm with GloomThumbs Up

But I'll add this: A couple of weeks back I took my kids to Matlock and my 2 year old son was on my shoulders waving at the passing bikes (whenever he's out or sitting in the van he constantly waves at bikes!), we stood near a crossing so there was plenty of time for riders to see him and it was a "safe" piece of road to wave back - especially if stationary at the crossing.

Obviously not everyone noticed the cheery 2 year old but many did.

The ones who waved back, nodded, said "Hello!" or revved their engines to acknowledge their little admirer in my opinion were bikers (if you were one of those folk, thank you - you made his day!).

The ones who looked but did nothing or sat at the crossing blatantly ignoring their little fan in my opinion are not "bikers". If you think you're too cool to acknowledge a cheery 2 year old, then maybe you're not quite as cool as you think (If you were one of these folk; have a word with yourself).

Incidentally types of bike/clobber worn didn't factor into it. 
That'll be my two pennyworth then!Stern Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Approve                                                                                                Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Viking Tel's Profile
Viking Tel

In: Silverstone and

Squiddy, Nail on the Head mate, I hate ignorant F**kers that are up their own Arses.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

GLOOM & SQUIDDY Thumbs Up

BUT MUCH TOO POLITE ABOUT IT                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

What makes a biker,   Clean machine, dirty pants, friendly nod (can't stand the ignorant bast@£&s who don't) ooh and beer!!                                                                                                                                                                              
TigerTim's Profile
TigerTim

In: Bishop Auckland

A certain type of lunacy that words cannot describe. When you know that after a days riding your knees are going to be aching, your back will be hurting,you're probably going to get wet and cold but you still get on your bike and enjoy yourself                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

After 30 odd years of riding, as a courier, in the army, in a patch club and on my own, I can safely say..............

I am not a biker

I am not a motorcyclist

I am a person, who loves building and riding bikes.......

No label needed.
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

No labels for me thanks,   I am a free ManThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

So we've heard....Tongue                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Gloom has it right                                                                                                                                                                              
Sweeny Todd's Profile
Sweeny Todd

In: Leicester

I am a biker, not someone who just rides bikes, i mix with fellow bikers most of the time, i dont even have a car as lucky enough not to need one. 4 wheels moves the body 2 wheels moves the soul                                                                                                                                                                             
spaceboy4's Profile
spaceboy4

In: stockport

biker is a modern word, iv bin into bikes for a long time i was a DR (despatch rider} for a few years, , but i like to think of myself as a motorcyclist, wgaf what you ride or wear.. but in my humble oppinion
anyone who rides in t,shirts etc has never had a tumble, but live and let live, its their choice and skin  not mine i try not to be judgementa ooh thaats a big word  why im drawn to bikes i,ll never know but im glad i am and will be untill the day i die.... spaceboy4Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i ride bikes...im not a biker, in the same way i drink beer but im not a alcoholic.... id rather not be in a box labled anything...ive met ppl i concider bikers.....i no ppl who ride bikes who il tell to there face its cos there vain and a peacock......lol if some one wants to dress in a power ranger costume and run for the hills when they see a spot of rain .....so be it lol who am i to judge....sorry i may laugh tho. just remeber....you may own a hammer....it dont make you a carpenter
Sweeny Todd's Profile
Sweeny Todd

In: Leicester

mate and I stopped at services on M6 for expensive coffee today, another couple on their bike got their coffee and joined us for a drink and a chat. never had that when driving a car, bikers tend to be more friendly.                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

I make you right there Sweeney Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
esspique's Profile
esspique

In: Huddersfield and

What makes a biker? that's easy.   A biker used to be a greasy, leather clad, jean wearing, bike riding yob, like we were in the 70s. Very few women riders, infact none that I knew of at the time. But things change, a biker now, I would class as a person who not only rides but regulary joins in with the biking/riding fraturnity. Whether you are a patch wearer or a full racing leather wearer or a t-shirt Harley rider.(Lets face face it Harleys arn't fast enough to get cold on, and yes I do have one, Ne thread comming I feel.). I doesn't matterwhere you meet, be it pub, club or cafe, as long as you meet up and join in.   A motorcyclist is, a person riding a motorcycle. Or maybe rides to work and back home again, because it's cheaper than car, bus or train, but a person who has no intentions or desire to "join in"   He/she will also wear a bright yellow tabard thing. (Argument No2 commng up)   All I know is "I'm a biker, always was, always will be"                                                                                                                                                                             
centurion's Profile
centurion

In: Catterick Garris

Can't argue with any of that esspique, apart from the fact I still manage to get cold on a Harley!                                                                                                                                                                             
Viking Tel's Profile
Viking Tel

In: Silverstone and

Almost my thoughts, (apart from the Harley comment)
And I like Sam brown belts not Tabard thingies. Lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
spaceboy4's Profile
spaceboy4

In: stockport

not that it matters , but as i said i consider myself a motorcyclist and believe me i do more than just ride to work and home... and yeah now and again i will wear a hi viz , usually in the darker months and for obvious reasons but thats my choice... long as im having fun.   back in the 70,/80s i dont recall  ever hearing the word biker.. it was either greaser or leatherboy? i can however remember a bike mag which im sure was called the biker ? !!Cool                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.1680 seconds. There are 619 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption