chains

41 Posts | Latest reply on 16/07/2012 18:49:10 by Steve_H | Go to original / last post
col's Profile
col

In: wakefield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

which is best X ring or O ring chain ?.......Col.                                                                                                                                                                             
zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

In: furry tree rat h

i always have afam gold x-ring on my zzr1100 am just waiting for my new zzr to be ready as had brand new chain and sprockets on when bought it(no point spending money unesserceraly) lol cant spellTongue                                                                                                                                                                              
col's Profile
col

hahaha i always have a dictionary close by Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

I M O   Brand is not so important as it used to be but cheaper chains are made of less durable materials and will not last as long as some of the top brands which are fairly similar these days   Both X and O ring chains are quite serviceable under "normal" conditions   X ring will keep out more "foreign" matter (which is what wears chains out)    O ring will keep out some crud but will not last as long   BOTH require regular maintenance   Cleaning and lubricating your chain is THE single most important treat you can give your bike   It is the VITAL last link in the transmission of all that power   After taking care of all the engine twiddly bits   Aquiring the best rubber money can buy   And polishing it so you can see to shave/put make on   THE CHAIN needs to be correctly tensioned and lubed   An "ordinary" chain well maintained    Will last last longer than X or O ring chains   Which are neglected                                                                                                                                                                             
zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

emzed you are the font of all knowledge and you are totally correct.lubing is the most important thing.i like afam cos they preeeeetttyyy lol.but i am an avid luber ha that sounds very naughty pmslLOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

I just try to helpful Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpHug your ace xx                                                                                                                                                                              
col's Profile
col

thanks very much both of you i will go for the X ringThumbs Up when i was a lad a chain was just a chain hahahaha everything is so complicated these days !Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

A question....how often should you lube your chain? I hear different things from different peeps, some say every couple weeks,some say every week, some say every time after it rains etc etc.
If I feel mine and it is still well greased I won't lube it 'til it feels dry is that ok? (Oh I drive my bike daily if that matters)
Cheers Big smile

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

You are already doing the right thing Lulu Thumbs Up   In MY opinion Cool   Just remember that if you have been out riding in the rain or on wet roads "after" it's rained, then you need to check to see that it's still   well "lubed" Approve   As for frequency, mileage and conditions are more important factors than "time interval" Wink   But don't leave it till it's "dry" to lube it that may be too late Disapprove   Check it frequently for tension and lubrication Thumbs Up   As posted above, a well maintained chain will pay dividends in easier riding and longer mileage from it Approve   Which in the long run will save you money   A badly adjusted and poorly lubed chain, will mean a less efficient transmission, which makes riding harder and loss of performance Disapprove   Your engine will have to work harder to drive the chain around the sprockets, as it "saps" power from the engine Unhappy   So you end up wasting petrol Shocked   Your chain is the main thing that keeps your bike moving Wink   It doesn't matter whether you have a muscle bike or a moped, (unless it's shaft drive and they need oil in the drive box) If the chain isn't working efficiently you can forget about getting anywhere with any kind of "peace of mind" Smile   Hope this helps Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Oh thankyou Emzed, yeah few months back I had to replace the chain and one of the sprockets as I hadn't lubed it enough and some of the links got jammed up and were grinding. Thought I had learned my lesson but am still a bit lazy with the regular maintenance. The tension is another thing, Im not sure how tight it needs to be, do you know of a good way to gauge it and how you know when it needs tightened? Obviously when it is loose but how do you test when it is going loose? By the feel of it? By the look of it? A friend showed me a way of testing it by moving it with my toe but how much movement is ok?
Sorry for all the questions but my bike minded friends are very few and far between here so no-one to ask except the Haynes manual or the garage guy Smile
Thankyou x

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Hey no wurries Lulu ask away Thumbs Up   After all I wasn't born with all this rubbish about motorbikes in a brown paper packet attached to my hip LOL   Some of it I had to ask about, some of it I read about and I had to learn a lot of it the hard way Wink   If I don't pass it on before I "go" I wouldn't be much of a biker and it would all go to waste Disapprove   So, to business Approve   1st, it's great that you had the sense to get a "Haynes" Thumbs Up Whilst they aren't the "bible" that some think they are, they DO contain a lot of very useful information Approve   Now I have to "assume" (never a safe thing to do Ermm) that your bike has a centre or main stand ? It makes checking and adjusting the chain tension much easier When the bike's on the stand the weight is off the wheel and therefore the chain (hopefully) and the rear wheel should be clear of the ground Thumbs Up   (If not put a flat thinnish [1"] piece of wood under the stand to lift the rear wheel up, by either putting the stand feet onto the wood and then getting it up on the stand, or tilt the bike slightly and getting 1 foot of the stand on the wood, then tilt it the other way with the stand resting on the wood and either kick it under the other foot or just spin the bike a little to get the other foot over the wood and lower it onto it) Sounds complicated but if you stop and think for a moment you'll realise its quite simple really Wink   Anyway, once the wheel is clear of the ground you can proceed to check the chain First thing, is to check for "tight spots" (there shouldn't be any but if there is  this is the point on it, where you need to check the tension) Again I have to "assume" that there are NO tight spots The "TOP" run of the chain is the one you need to keep an eye on Thumbs Up No good waiting till the bottom run is hanging down in a saggy arc cos it's way too slack by that stage Disapprove   On some bikes the top run of the chain is "hidden" by the chain guard and it's difficult to see the chain but they (chain guards) are usually fastened by a bolt at the back to the "swinging arm" (which the wheel is fastened into) so removing this bolt will give you a clear sight of the chain if you lift it a bit   The chain should have about 3/4 " (or metric equivalent) of TOTAL movement UP and DOWN It shouldn't be like a "fiddle string" as that would put a lot of strain on all the bearings in the gearbox and the wheel Remember that when the weight goes back on the rear of the bike, some of the "slack" will be "taken up" I'm trying to be as "general" as possible to include those other folk who may be reading this Ermm   The weight of the rider plus the weight of the bike will mean that different bikes need different settings (IE heavier bike/heavier rider will take up more slack) Remember what I said about tight spots, and re-check the tension "after" you have adjusted it Thumbs Up   Most modern bikes have "graduated adjusters" at the rear wheel spindle either side and these can be used to ensure that the wheel stays "in line" BUT, as a good "aid", looking along the top run of the chain from the rear to see if it is in a "straight line"  is agood idea, as sometimes the adjusters "tell lies" Wink   If any or all of this doesn't make sense Confused Don't be afraid to ask for clarification Approve Best of luck Lulu, it's great to know that you want to take of your bike and if you maintain it you'll you'll not only enjoy riding it more in the knowledge that its working efficiently   You'll save money too, on servicing costs and fuel costs too Big smile   I hope this helps Approve                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

That's really useful emzed. Thumbs Up   Why does my chain have different tension on different bits of it?   Can check the movement up and down, then rotate the rear wheel a bit and check another bit and it's tighter or looser....that's weird & I don't understand why Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Forgot to mention above Embarrassed   The MIDDLE of the top run of the chain is where to check the movement up and down Thumbs Up   That is from FULLY dow to FULLY up approx 3/4"   (three quarters of an inch  or 19/20 millimeters)                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Well Mini, that's why I said check for "tight spots" Wink   If you are finding "them" it "usually" means 1 of two things   Either your sprocket is oval   Or the chain is stretched in places and not in others *   Both are "usually" the result of BAD maintenance   Inadequate lubrication, overtightening and or running slack for too long   Yeah sounds contradictory I know   But a slack chain will "snatch" on take off putting undue force and wear on the sprocket   A tight DRY chain will wear the sprocket out faster   Both these will create uneven wear on the sprocket   Which will make it slightly oval (technically it alters the PCD [pitch circle diameter] which means the chains rollers are constantly alter ing the length of the chain between the front sprocket, on the gearbox shaft, and the rear sprocket on the rear wheel) As neither sprocket can move, because they are in fixed positions, the chain will go tight and slack   * Another thing which could be responsible is "broken rollers" in the chain   But this is "usually" more noticeable as there is often a "greater" difference in the "tight" and "slack" spots Broken rollers are often caused by overtightening the chain and lack of lubrication   I hope this helps   As usual, if it's not clear, please ask again Approve                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

i agree with everything you say emzed but i check mine on the bottom run of the chain, its even better if you fit a chain oiler                                                                                                                                                                               
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

A badly maintained chain is DANGEROUS....if overtight it will run hot,strain bearings and possibly even snap! If it snaps it will almost certainly cause damage to the engine casings and possibly jam the rear wheel. I remember many years ago at a grasstrack meeting seeing a chain snap and whiplash up the riders back, he flung both arms up and fell off the back of the bike like he just been shot!  So I guess it musta hurt!
If really slack it may come off the sprockets and jam the rear wheel,again with dire consequences.
So look after those chains folks...they not really dear to replace and if possible go for sprockets as well as they wear too. As a rule of thumb you can often get two chains to one set of sprockets but personally I do the lot every time as the cost isnt hugely more and the chain will last longer anyway on fresh sprockets. Consider changing cush drive rubbers at the sprocket carrier too if over 20k miles old or showing signs of wear.
If in ANY doubt get someone experienced check your work before you ride the bike...
As for basic maint/lub I use engine oil and liberally dose the chain wiping up the excess when I finished,only downside is it does get flung off more than chain lub spray but at least I pretty sure its soaked into the chain properly unlike an aerosol which may just be a surface coating....they say O/X ring chains are sealed and need little lifetime lubing...hmmmm ok.
Finally does anyone still use that linklife grease you melt up on mums kitchen stove!!!  Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks for that  Emzed, I have printed out the page for future reference haha.
You are a Star
xxx

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

I endorse what Andy says about the DANGERS of badly maintained chainsThey can and do cause horrendous damage to the bike and the rider if left unattended I have seen broken engine casings and a badly lacerated leg from badly maintained chains which have come off the sprockets or broken   Where I do disagree with you Andy is about the X and O ring chains   The lubricating of "X" and "O" ring chains is about lubing the sprockets and the "outside" of the chainIf the oil or lube that you put on is not staying onThen its not doing it's job very effectively     The whole point of them (chains) having this new "technology" incorporated, is to stop the crap and crud getting "into" the links of the chain Putting oil or chain lube on the chain and sprockets is just to lubricate "them" (sprockets and outer rollers and side plates) NOT the internals of the rollers If oil can get in, then so can other stuff, which kind of defeats the object of the exercise  and if it is getting into the inner rollers then the chain is either "sub-standard" or worn out Ordinary engine oil will just be "flung" off by the centrifugal force of the rotation so no  lasting benefit is achieved Which is why the "anti-fling" preparations were developed (chain saw oil is a very good and cheaper substitute, but a little more hassle to apply with a brush ) Applying engine oil WILL lubricate an "ordinary chain" and "Linklife" was the "best" treatment available for THEM, as it was a semi-solid grease when at "ambient" temperatures It did prolong the life of the old type chains with "open rollers" like "Reynolds" I used it for many years and had two chains for my Beeza outfit which I inter-changed regularly I just attached the "Linklifed" chain to the one on the bike and pulled that one off  which threaded the new one on without the need to remove the primary chaincase, which the gearbox sprocket was hidden behind I don't think I've seen "Linklife" for sale anywhere for a while, last saw some at Rufforth autojumble But that was "new old stock"   So, in my opinion, using modern lube on modern chains is the way to go However, one final "caveat" CLEAN the chain occasionally (once a month or 2 to 3000 miles) because one of the "drawbacks" of modern of the anti-fling treatments, is that it acts like a "magnet" for dirt,grit and other "abrasive" particles and effectively makes a kind of grinding paste which WILL wear out your sprockets and chains   Good luck and happy riding                                                                                                                                                                             
northlondon58's Profile
northlondon58

In: Aldershot

just lube the chain after you have finished using your motorcycle that way its ready for the next ride out , simlpes ........                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.5313 seconds. There are 1807 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption