Disappearing Threads, where do they go?

57 Posts | Latest reply on 11/05/2012 09:04:27 by jinx57 | Go to original / last post
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I wasn't being smutty Shocked 

I was actually concerned as to whether you were knitting "top box warmers" or "screen warmers" as one can take a little longer to make than the other because of the complicated patterns                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

I deleted a topic last week I think (or early this week) which was for an event in 2013.  The topic had been locked by a moderator for a week if I remember rightly with a comment that cafe meet ups in 2013 don't need posting on the forum.  Any more topics like that will also be deleted for the same reasons you talk about (genuine events aren't getting the attention they need).

I'm not sure if it's the same topic or not to be honest.  But yea you know why it's deleted - because we want correct events to be at the top.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

I also spoke to people who have been putting up events for 2013/4 and asked them not to do so any more.

As for linking events with forum topics - it's been suggested a lot and I do plan on doing it.  I'm just trying to figure out a way to do it in a tidy way.  It's about a day's work or so and I'll do it as soon as I'm well enough to sit at my computer for a day straight (I'm lucky to manage an hour at a time at the moment.  Back to hospital on Tuesday to find out what's wrong).                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Save it for the courts Feisty!Wink

Matt you've now answered my question comprehensively, cheers.Thumbs Up

Bomb I'll see you at Squires 2013, I've discovered Frizz-Eeze so my cascading locks should be magnificent!Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
OMNF's Profile
OMNF

In: Worksop

Trust you to start an argument Squiddy!!   And yes Matt I do agree with what you say i am new to the site and some of the bickering on threads initially put me off. It felt as though i was joining a playground and had to pick which side i wanted to be on.   Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if it is offensive or unnecessarily nasty to another then it does not need saying.   However i do enjoy reading about other peoples days and what your all up to. I'm building up my bad jokes portfolio too from the jokes section.   I've met some brilliant people so far on here and plan to meet many more. Hug                                                                                                                                                                             
cavywavy's Profile
cavywavy

In: Ashbourne

I was gigle reading all this but stayed out.   But I do have a suggestion when modding the furums.     When fokes ask a question or come up with an idea of an event they quite oftern put it int he genrul thread to see what is thought get idea of who might be intrested. and its normaly within hours bumped into events or one of the other topics where it either takes over ( in the case of the events thread and stops anyone seeing events that are actualy planned and are due to happen int he next week / weeks or int he case of some of the other threads gets lost and never seen again.     Whats the point in having a genrul furum is all anyone does is post how much they love there bike or what music they listen ect ect, in my many mnay years of running some quite big web-sites that alwasy been called the spam thread.   Would it not make more sense for questions about possible events ect ect to be left there everyone have there say ask question let whoever idea it was sound it out, and then if its a go'er put it on the events page and start a new thread or only then move it.   That would A) stop posts be moved around with out any notification to the person posting and stop them been lost never to be seen again B) allow the genrul thread to be used for just what its really there for genrul chitter chatter and C) help keep other theads such as Events a bit cleaner.   Dont hit me it was just an idea based on expirence.   Second Idea can we not have sticky threads allowing mods to make all this weeks events sticky and they stay at the top to be changed on a monday for example.                                                                                                                                                                                 
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

In: Cheshire

Thnx Matt for explaining now why deleted.   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   BTW IMHO , for those that see this as bickering, moaning, negativity or what other form of expression they want to taint it with, I like probably most, see it as democratic freedom of expression and opinion. This you will see on any other forum site in the great wide world of tinterweb. Topical debate, I find is more interesting than painting everything with doom & gloom.   So please remove those rose tinted glasses, those who feel they are wearing them.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

so what happened to jinx`s thread on what book`s people read

as someone who had a thread stopped I can see both sides ...mainly a lack of a sense of humour and people not ready to accept that other people have a different point of view dont have to agree just accept

why do you expect democratic freedom on the tinterweb its a private site..you could set one up too

freedom...all laws and rules restrict it think I might start a thread on this ...now that would be a argument 

"I like probably most" have you polled members to reach this conclusion  dint ask me 

"So please remove those rose tinted glasses, those who feel they are wearing them." arent you doing what you dont want others doing                                                                                                                                                                              
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

No its not a private site at all, as anyone is free to join. Subscription paying or not.   Just because its a virtual world doesn't mean there should be no Democracy. If it shouldn't, then what should it have???? Fascism? Anarchism?, Authoritarianism? or Totalitarianism? or any other kind of ism you care to mention....... You tell me.   We live in a Democratic Liberal society! And, I don't expect as you put it, If you read what I stated, I wrote; I see it as democratic freedom of expression and opinion. Which I, you and everyone else is partaking in. And on that note I feel you've also contradicted yourself with; 'people not ready to accept that other people have a different point of view dont have to agree just accept' and then attack my post.   'freedom...all laws and rules restrict'  Do they? Rules and Laws dont restrict freedom. If that was the case, we wouldn't be living in a Democratic liberal society governed by laws like we do. The likes of Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism restrict freedom.   And what is it you think Im doing that I don't want others to do?                                                                                                                                                                              
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough

This is really getting boring now. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and no-one is going to stop individual opinion. Perhaps those who constantly complain should not so much look at their opinions but the way they word them, which is most cases where threads are locked or deleted is due to their argumentative nature and attempts to envoke a reaction by the way they word things. Complaints, constructive crititicism, and realistic suggestions are always welcome, but bickering and causing arguments are not. This is a friendly site so let's keep the crap off the forums and maintain some decorum, and before anyone complains that I've deleted the post above this one, it had nothing more than a full stop in it.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

yep so  F*****G BORING

Sleepy

bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

'Perhaps those who constantly complain should not so much look at their opinions but the way they word them' Nobody who has posted on this thread has constantly complained, whinged or moaned on this site. Have a look at their posted histories before making that statement Simon.     And before anyone suggests, I am not attempting to invoke an argumentative situation, just merely expressing my thoughts, feelings and opinion like everybody else.   'and before anyone complains that I've deleted the post above this one, it had nothing more than a full stop in it' ..... LoL, I am not going to complain and can't for the life of me see why anyone else would. I double posted and rather have anyone read by so called boring moaning twice I cleared it and left a full stop due to not being able to delete post.     Nice come back BTW GS                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Nat - you should know BM is the home of bad jokes and poor humour, so step right up  :-D    Sorry that you walked in on some bickering though, it pops up every now and then and we quash it as fast as possible (normally keeping all sides happy).  It's unavoidable with 50,000 bikers and 50,000 different opinions.

Cavywavy... that's what's happening now.  Look at what Jackie posted in General Chat earlier this week about the BM Xmas do and asking peoples' opinions.
And I suppose we could create sticky topics... but I've never been a big fan of them on other websites.  I'll talk to the mods as they manage the forum and see what their opinion is.

Steve.... I've no idea what a topic about books was deleted, it's more than welcome to stay.  The original poster may have asked for it to be deleted and if not they will have received a PM explaining why it was deleted.  We don't just go around deleting things for fun you know, in fact it's rare we delete anything at all!

BTW this IS a private site with public access.  If I say someone is banned and can't join the site then I'm allowed to do so as sole owner of the site.  We're not a registered club due to the complex legal issues involved (holding general meetings yearly, board of committee etc).                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

Steve said: so what happened to jinx`s thread on what book`s people read it's still there - in General topics where it's always been....                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

hahahaa LOL

Perfect example of what I said earlier - people thinking something has been deleted just because they can't find it                                                                                                                                                                             
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

LoL...... I would describe the site more as a controlled site than a private site due to the fact that people from outside can view its contents. If it was private only those within could navigate and see its contents.

Private:
Belonging to, concerning, or accessible only to an individual person or a specific group.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Suppose you're right. It's more like a pub - public but people can be barred from entering at the owner's discretion.  Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

In that case Matt is the landlord and drinks are on the house

Matt's Profile
Matt

ur really asking for it, aren't you?  Just cos I live so far away doesn't mean u can't get a slap via a 3rd party!  Ouch                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

It would be hard, but if you need me to Boss then I will oblige                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 435 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption