Bike saftey video

16 Posts | Latest reply on 03/05/2012 15:56:22 by JP | Go to original / last post
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Just found this on a classic bike site you may find some outdated but best I have seen   http://classic-motorbikes.net/videos-228-methods-of-the...perts-1955                                                                                                                                                                                
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

I enjoyed watching that J P, thanks. Considering how old that footage is the stunts were pretty good.   Nice to know that some things have improved since then tho, the clothing and helmets for one.                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

there is a lot of good info in there for new riders, it will bring a smile to a lot of older rider on the memory side. anybody from the wirrel area recognize the roads ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

ah that was brill JP Thumbs Up loved it and all that has changed really are the bikes and the gear.... still same old lessons to learn .... nice one cheers Big smile      one tip i never thought of tho that this vid gave me was the old newspaper down chest to keep wind out!!! bit cheaper than the windproof gear on sale now!! heeheehee.... love it thanks                                                                                                                                                                              
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Classic, I love it Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
74% Karma74% Karma 74% Karma74% Karma

Loads of roads I recognise round Liverpool and the Wirral looking a lot quieter than they are now, plus one Arthur Sir, who taught me to drive on a Renault 5 back in the 70s. Makes me feel seriously old!                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Wills I thought you may have recognised a few roads but not the folk in the film lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Zedbiker's Profile
Zedbiker

In: South Molton

Loved it! Good find JP.
Did anyone notice the car driving over the zebra crossing while there was someone waiting? Just shows inconsiderate drivers have been around for many years.                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Speaking as someone that spends all day driving around some of the more classy areas of Brum all day. There's an awfull lot more of em around now Zed. Good find JP.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Quality link JP, cheers!                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

This was a little before my time, but not so different when I started riding. In those days you could ride any motorcycle, with or without side car on an 'L' plate and without any training. Your mates would just show you how to change gears and pull away. Then the world was your oyster. The accident rate wasn't particularly higher than at any other time but people did have road sense. Most kids were given proper training for cycle riding, hand signals etc. That was the cycling proficiency test carried out at most schools. I am not sure if this still happens but if it doesn't it should be brought back. I could go into the present day cyclist behavior but not on this thread. It was plain from the film that our rights as motorcyclists have neen eroded over the years and continue to do so. In the film there was no Hi vis, no helmets, no indicators (appart from hand signals) and no particular convention for clothing. For some reason hand signals have been droped from tests and training. I don't agree with that, as there is no allowance for a failure of your indicators. I forgot. During that era, most families did not have cars. it was either motorcycle of some sort, push bike, walking or the bus.   As I said before it was a brilliant film and a reminder of what was probably the hay day of british motorcycling.                                                                                                                                                                               
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
74% Karma74% Karma 74% Karma74% Karma

JPH, I was brought up in a motor industry family, and also my dad was nearly 50 when I was born, so I knew all the old characters in the trade when I was a kid, including Victor Horsman who introduces the film.

JP's Profile
JP

Hope it put a smile on your face seeing old friends wills                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

So much of that is still covered in todays CBTs and DSA, i need to get a copy so i can take the michael out of one of the older instructors i work with.                                                                                                                                                                             
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

In: Cheshire

Cool find JP,   They deffo don't make them like they used to. Great vid, blunt and to the point. Maybe the DoT should spend a few of the coffers they rake in on making a more modern version.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Dont think it was anythink to do with the gov I think it was a fime made by a shop ? But yes thay should take a look at it there is alot of stuff in there that only come with years of riding                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8125 seconds. There are 1005 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption