Trikes

7 Posts | Latest reply on 18/04/2012 19:17:37 by Gloom | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi I havent got a bike license and am happy to be a pilly but was  told l could drive a trike on a driving license, is this correct ?  so help please
" What is the pro's and cons of having a trike ? "                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hi BJP, try having a look on here. It may be of help. I`m sure there will be a few people on here that know the rules though. Dave         http://www.trikeshop.co.uk/trike_law.htm

centurion's Profile
centurion

In: Catterick Garris

The cons are that you suffer the worst of both worlds, you get stuck in traffic as if in a car but still get cold and wet as on a bike!Unhappy   The pros are that yes, pretty sure you can drive a trike on a car license so long as its under a certain weight (and most trikes are), you can carry more gear/people/dogs etc etc than on a bike and they look ALLOT more fun to drive than a car.Smile   Never driven a trike myself but thought about allot recently as a means of taking my dogs out with me, maybe one day.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Hi BJP, Nellie says yes you can drive a trike on a car driving licence as long as the trike is over 500 kilos.   Nellie also says to have a look at this website, if you get stuck give Nellie a nudge (PM) http://www.trikedoctor.co.uk/   Moved this topic to 'Bikes, products and services' forum.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Sandi, Centurion and Dave4370 for the info Bjp xx                                                                                                                                                                              
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough

Have you got a full car license? If not I think you'll find that you can ride a trike but it has to be a single seater. I'm sure someone will come along with the full legalities soon.

Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

Trikes :) A serious mine field.

To start with a motorcycle is defined as a vehicle with less than 4 wheels. Surely not I hear you say, it's a vehicle with 2 wheels but it is defined as less than 4 wheels to include side car outfits. So someone in their wisdom decided to use weight to differentiate between a trike and a bike and as it stands currently if it is under 410 Kg it's classed as a bike except that to bring things into line with Europe a B1 entitlement was introduced which is a vehicle with 3 or 4 wheels and under 550Kg. Now this creates a grey area where if you have a full bike license you have a B1 entitlement so can ride one without ever passing a car test and if you only have a full car license you can also ride them even though the law says anything under 410Kg is a bike.

What ever you do make absolutely certain the V5 lists it as a motor tricycle. Some of the reliant trikes  that people have built have never had the SVA test they should have had and are basically winging it. You can end up losing the trike and facing some serious fines if caught out with one of these potential death traps on the public roads.

Trikes are fun, go round corners faster than most road bikes and are fairly cheap to insure. On the down side they take some getting used to and you're not going to nip through traffic, although most are a lot narrower than a car.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3125 seconds. There are 618 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption