Mirror Signal Manouver?

110 Posts | Latest reply on 10/08/2009 19:10:42 by prof | Go to original / last post
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

That'll be me in 19 months Paul!! LOL!                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

yeah baby me too! Im gonna get me a maggot! And then we can have a race for 10mins then stop for tea and have a rest!                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

hey glad yu made it back julie x how'd it go!![ oops hijacked thread!]                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

it was good LOL gonna do it again sometime!
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

In 10 mins time?                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

Where did you get to Julie. Im still in the north. Armoy races on tomorrow                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

did the south west corner, it was ace!                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

Lovely if you get the weather                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Rusty Knight Buddy,i mean no offense here,but after reading a few of your posts,please consider a refresher course.I ride for the speed,excitement,freedom and a dozen other reasons but never,ever for the dangerDead Hope this hasan't come over as patronising,am merely concerned for a fellow bikerHug                                                                                                                                                                                      
julie j's Profile
julie j

yes good advice for all....get some training!                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

back on thread for a mo. If a car is in front of me i like them to be aware of me behind them so no surprises when i pass , this is not possible all times as i'm not behind them very long , if its 3..4 cars i will indicate and keep the indicator on until i'm past the leading car checking speed and distance and mirror continuously , if i cant see whats behind me in the mirror i dont think looking over my shoulder is going to be of much help ..i prefer largish mirrors with a clear side/backview cos i hate diverting my eyes from ahead of me for too long , this is only my opinion and thankfully the only times i've come off NO other vehicles were involved . knock on wood
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Hmm,.. is the 'mirror signal move' thingy meant to be used by cars too? Just wondering, because today, just outside Hawes I got me boots polished in the grass by an 8yr old driving a 'typeR'? Honda. I gained on him, (not at Mach2) and put me right blinkie on about 30yds back when I saw over the wall a gap in the traffic coming the other way. When I got me nose end level with his seat belt, he moved his hand to the top of the wheel and gave it a good yank, without a blink or a mirror check.  I have a flip front lid, and it does come in very usefull for making people see the error of their ways, allthough at the time, using my armoured MX boots would have been more satisfying,......... think!  Has anyone else had trouble with tractors coming out onto roads today, usually with their bale tines/muck forks at head level?                                                                                                                                                                             
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH

I always use a lifesaver, it's become a habit. Rather than mirror, signal, manoever I use the police system. That is Information,position, speed, gear, acceleration. More details of this can be found in " Roadcraft" the police riding manual.                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

If you've read Roadcraft Tim and use the Police system, you'll know that the "system" recommends considering a lifesaver, not using one all the time.   The lifesaver has very important applications, such as changing lanes on a dual carriageway/motorway or setting off from the side of the road etc, in other words at any time that you need to check your blind spot.                                                                                                                                                                             
dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport

i pretty much always know whats behind me from mirror use, if things get a bit busy its always worth a quick look before doing any manouver                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
80% Karma80% Karma 80% Karma80% Karma

From a seasoned pillion's point of view I prefer the rider to be taking life-saver looks where necessary. Many riders don't and a few times I've had to get them to hold off, cos something was coming, to avoid a crash.   I've pillioned with timhall and would recommend him as a safe rider to anyone else who goes pillion with him.   I'd like to add that it's not just riders who need to be aware, but pillions too. Quite a lot of pillions have made comments that makes me realise they don't pay attention to the journey, and the traffic. If you're goina be sat on the back make yourself useful and keep a look out for any potential hazard or danger spot that the rider may not be aware of. 4 eyes are better than none. Geek                                                                                                                                                                               
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

I agree with the pillion keeping an eye out, but I don't think the pillion should distract the rider too eagerly in case it puts the rider off.  All it takes is a few seconds (or less) to take your eyes off the road and it could be the difference between life and death.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i would not rely on a pillion, as there reaction time is going to be slower than the rider, the person at the controls is in charge, and i would not expect a pillion to warn me of anything really......its me that needs to be aware of all dangers on the road.
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

I agree 100% Ian Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
80% Karma80% Karma 80% Karma80% Karma

I'd rather 'put the rider off' than be squished Blue.   From my personal experience Ian the rider has been slower at reacting hence my comment about paying attention to the journey and as I said before not all riders do life savers and that's why I've had to warn them it's not safe to pull out etc                                                                                                                                                                               

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7656 seconds. There are 558 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption