When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original

33 Posts | Latest reply on 04/09/2007 18:38:40 by Blueboy955i | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

all good suggestions - ill put a spreadsheet together when I get home of "Development requests" or something.   U can't put a quote button unfortunately for the same reason as other PMs cannot be put into replies... it posts the form twice.  I spent many hours trying to figure it out to no avail - so when it failed even when all the code was right, i had to put it down to a conflict of diff technologies.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
85% Karma85% Karma 85% Karma85% Karma

Matt: U can't put a quote button unfortunately for the same reason as other PMs cannot be put into replies... it posts the form twice.  I spent many hours trying to figure it out to no avail - so when it failed even when all the code was right, i had to put it down to a conflict of diff technologies.   So, copy and paste it is then Smile   (Good morning Matt)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

lol yep.   N good morning.   I'm working today (All weekend and all week!)                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

It's good to have NEW experiences, Matt, the change will do you the world of good Wink LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Of course Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
Berks_Biker's Profile
Berks_Biker

In: Matlock
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

Hi Matt,

I thought you could have multiple forms on a single webpage. Have a look at the XHTML standard on the W3C official site.

Alternately, look at XForms (an XML derived standard).

Thirdly, if you make the Reply form a secondary form, then you could add a [Formar to me] button on the InBox message form, like you have the [Reply] and other buttons.

Finally, you could just add a profile option to allow the auto forwarding of the full message rather than just the notification that a message had arrived. That means we can decide whether we want to go onto the site and send a reply. :-)

R
Matt's Profile
Matt

It's good to make users come back to the site - rather than just looking at their PMs in an email.  We want returning visitors :-P   The issue isn't with forms, its a javascript issue.  If theres default text, then the javascript for some reason submits the form twice (Once with blank content and once with the full message).   I've been thinking of a way to resolve it, like creating a "threaded" type of PM string, so you can click to see the PM that you replied to.   It's all a lot of work though - for very little improvement to service.  For now, I think having the original message under the text box is good enough, and it also keeps the data to a minimum (No duplicate content in the databse everytime you reply).   The forwarding button, and "email me a copy" thing should be very easy to implement, and i'll do it asap as its a good feature thats easy to make.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Ive added the "Original message..." bit to the reply box.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

"Email me a copy of this message" has been added to the reply box in PMs.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Ive added the "Original message..." bit to the reply box.   Nice one Matt, thanks Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Just replied to my first pm without needing to take notes!!!

Brilliant Matt,huge improvementClap

Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

I agree, nice one fella Clap.  The site just keeps getting better all the time.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5703 seconds. There are 882 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption