suzuki 125....no life at all

11 Posts | Latest reply on 20/07/2011 23:03:19 by Wills | Go to original / last post
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Just tried starting my suzuki vl 125 intruder and it won't start. Press start switch and nothing. doesn't even attempt to turn over at all. It's been standing for a while but there's  enough charge for the headlights (which I've now turned off). I've checked the kill switch. Had probs in the past with the clutch switch & side stand switch so double checked all of them and made sure clutch pulled right in cos it is tempramental I can hear something clicking when I press the start button and the neutral light goes off momentarily   Any suggestions? I'll go and attach the battery charger just in case it's too flat I'm so bloody disappointed...wanted to go out                                                                                                                                                                              
Truckman's Profile
Truckman

In: corby
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Sounds like low charge in battery !!!                                                                                                                                                                              
YID's Profile
YID

In: Scarborough
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Yup, symptomatic of a flat battery or possibly a loose/bad connection on either battery, starter or earth.
Put the charger on first before twiddling any wires, sounds most probable!                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx

Tried charging, didn't work, battery defunct. just going for new one & firebladejohn fitting for me woo hoo!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx

New battery didn't sort...now concluded the starter motor seized. Anyone have a suzuki vl 125 starter motor???                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

It may have just jammed before you get a new one take it off and check its not just the bearings worn                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

you could try knocking the area of the starter motor with a mallet and drift (so you don't hit the bike directly with the mallet) it may free it off if its been stood a while

Minnie the Minx

Starter motor been walloped with hammer, been taken off bike & John had a damn good go at reconditioning and re-assembled but not done the trick. He's taken it away with him to see if he can do anything with it but not very hopeful. So I'm on the lookout for a replacement   Firebladejohn has been a star today....he thought he was heading up north for a nice ride out. Then he bumped into me......lol                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Well in that case e-bay but get new the 2nd hand ones are 2nd hand for a reson                                                                                                                                                                             
firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

hi every1 , the magnets on the starter motors ive had in the past have always been screwed to the outer casing . the ones  on minnies bike were glued on  but have become detached so they move round with the rotor is this a common problem
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
70% Karma70% Karma 70% Karma70% Karma

I've heard about this on starters on some BMWs, can't remember off the top of my head if it's the Bosch or Valeo ones that give the trouble. Only remedy is a new starter, alas.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7148 seconds. There are 1472 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption