Why does packing for a new house take so long?

26 Posts | Latest reply on 10/08/2010 21:33:05 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I am just packing all my stuff up to move houses at the weekend and I find myself opening one box, sitting down and looking through everything in the box.

I think that moving house can be so psychologically damning! Coming across old pictures, memories and treasures! Probably not good doing it while listening to some strong Power Ballads!
Alice2's Profile
Alice2

In: York
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Make sure you label all those boxes...then you won't have to peep again!!
Good luck with the move...a good time to call in favours:>

rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

In: Manchester

lol ... mbw ... been there and done that!   Power Ballads and old pics ... awwww                                                                                                                                                                             
suzed2805's Profile
suzed2805

In: Gtr Manchester

I am moving this coming Sat'day and up to now i aint packed a thing - me thinks this going to go badly lol x                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

haha...yeah labelling is the most important thing definitely!

It's great isn't hey Rock Chick? Got myself a bottle of rose on the go, power ballads and packing! Very chick flick-esque!

It's amazing how much crap you accumulate over the years too hey?
rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

Wouldnt even begin to know where to start with all my 'crap' lol   Dont envy you mbw ... but with you in spirit :)                                                                                                                                                                                 
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

You wait until you've got to clear out the family home where you were brought up. That's when you really start going off on a memory trip!

Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

I had to clear my garage earlier this year and opened boxes packed before I moved in 5 years ago. What delights in here I wondered? What a load of crap...boxed up, transported, stored....how stupid is that? Be ruthless and chuck stuff away now cos there's loads of opportunities to collect masses more crap when you move in                                                                                                                                                                             
wozabee's Profile
wozabee

In: lancaster

yeh agree there you seem to collect more crap whenever you move so get rid of some now mate lol
good luck with your move Thumbs Up

bandit lover's Profile
bandit lover

In: Birmingham

When I was a little girl, I had the world's supply of dolls and I mean the world's supply.....some of which looked very baby realistic!! When I left the family home to move to my own place, I am not sure why we did it but all of my dolls were 'disposed' of in the cavity wall behind the fireplace.  Some years later, the house was demolished and I often wonder if the demolition men got a fright when all of these dolls came trundling out of the cavity wall LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

I'm in the same position - gonna be moving soon, however I'm moving from a 4 bed house to a 1 bed flat.....which will be furnished!!! so the vast majority is gonna go into storage, so I have to be really ruthless! It's hard, but it has to be done..I just need to get a bit more of a move on & do it! Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That's exactly like me Stella, it's all furnished and I have loads of things to move so think they're all going in the attic. I am what I like to call a hoarder! ha-ha.

Cheers Wozabee and Rockchick I'm hoping for a nice smooth move and no problems along the way....is life really that perfect? haha. Never!
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

MBW, re: packing boxes.     If you're using a removal firm, they will supply them. All you need is some parcel tape and a marker pen.   Department Stores?   Do you know of anyone who has moved IN recently?   Supermarkets, some have a recycling section where they put their boxes, you just help yourself, I can't understand why you couldn't get any from the supermarket, try other supermarkets.   Even corner shops have empty boxes   Tip 1: make a brief list of what is in the box (before you seal it) make  a copy, put the list in the box,  keep the copy with you. Mark the box and the list with corresponding number, or room name.  That way you don't even need to open the box to know what's in it.   Tip 2: In a box (when you find one) put kettle mugs tea / coffee /sugar tea spoon washing up liquid biscuits / crisps cutlery small plates flask of milk (to keep cold until the fridge is plugged in)   Kitchen sink optional lol Keep this box with you, don't let the removers, or anyone else, pack  it away.   Tip3: If your land line phone isn't being connected on the day of moving make sure you have your mobile fully charged.     (my removal company Bodgit & Scarper, WRAPPED my kettle up Confused it took me all day to find it) Who the heck wraps a kettle up?? LOL   Hope your move goes smoothly, don't pack the kettle/beer lol                                                                                                                                                                                 
rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

lol ... if life was that smooth John .... then it wouldnt be so interesting :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i dont envy you morcambe, moving home is more stressful than a divorce lol   as for boxes... local packaging distribution companies sell boxes for pennies, at their cash sale/trade counters??? eg. National packaging, Ambassador packaging etc...   good luck with your move Wacko                                                                                                                                                                                 
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

moving home is more stressful than a divorce lol   It is if you're still married LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

lol Kwak Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That is a very true comment....not that I've been divorced before but it's very stressful. The last time I moved I had just graduated, was planning my 2 week holiday in Florida and moving all at the same time.

It's amazing how such a simple thing like a box can help in so many ways! ha-ha. Thanks Kwak for that extra long helping message! Just what I needed!
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Y W John Thumbs Up   I'm not known for my brevity LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ha-ha. Well after looking around on the net....I get a call at work, so go downstairs to answer and it's one of my friends with about 12 boxes! Perfect for now! ha-ha!                                                                                                                                                                               

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7334 seconds. There are 886 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption