BikerMatch on your mobile

25 Posts | Latest reply on 07/02/2009 11:03:05 by Matt | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

How much interest would there be in a scaled down version of BikerMatch suitable for mobile phones?   The current site isn't really usable on a mobile unless you have a large PDA (Even then it's difficult).   I could create a small site (mobile.bikermatch.co.uk or something) that would be mainly text based with a max of 1 or 2 images per page.   It would allow you to login, check your messages, forums, search profiles etc.   As this would mean an entire new site being made, and a hell of a lot of work (months), it would be for full members only.   Would be be good for anyone, everyone or nobody?                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Dosn't particularly interest me Matt. But can see that some peeps may be interested.                                                                                                                                                                              
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

Hi Matt   My personal opinion is that it wouldn't be worth the months of hard work on your part.   I can access and use your exisiting site ok on both my Symbian and Windows based mobile devices (PDA & phone).                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Making it a full-members only feature may encourage others to upgrade though, and so would be worth the while.   I'm gonna do some research and planning, see how long I think it will take to make exactly.   Even just a basic site that enables viewing of PMs would help people keep in touch when on the move.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Test from my own mobile                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Test from opera on my mobile                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

worked, but its so hard to view the site on my mobile.  Having to zoom in and out all the time. What are the PDAs like?                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

oooh gawd knocked off by a BM member accessing  the site while driving thier cage to read a post by geof on riding safely! great! cheer's Matt! seriously cant see a lot of interest,                                                                                                                                                                             
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

I think the time and effort could be better spent developing the main BM site.  Personally I don't use my mobile for anything other than calls, tests and for my early morning alarm lol                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Well TM - at least he was reading a post about riding safely!                                                                                                                                                                             
stmarysloch's Profile
stmarysloch

In: newcastle

i like the idea,it would be good for when i have a fag break at work.i could keep an eye on the totty. will it be cheap? even totty watching has its price!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

cheap?  It would be free - it would sit on the current servers.  It wont cost me anything to make other than time. Free for you?  Well you'd have to be a full member (Which you are) and you'd of course need internet on your phone (which may or may not cost depending on your mobile package).                                                                                                                                                                             
stmarysloch's Profile
stmarysloch

In: newcastle

i can get internet but not bothered but would probably do it if i had a reason,like bm                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

i wouldnt use it due to being cluless! wouldn`t mind a txt alert for when i get a message as sometimes i go a whole wk with out switching comp on.                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

This sent from an HP iPAQ running Windows Mobile 5.

No problems navigating or using the site.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

no that's not possible.  Would cost a hell of a lot of money to setup and run.  Think of the bill!  Thousands of text messages being sent daily, plus the expensive equipment that integrates with servers to send texts                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

This sent from Samsung Innov8 (smartphone) running Symbian S60.

No problems viewing or using the site here either...                                                                                                                                                                             
meza95's Profile
meza95

In: Widnes

well with the invention of mobile broadband for the laptops..i cant see i would ever use it..i drive for a living and can log onto the normal site whenever i stop  as do some others on here matt..                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Julie J said "wouldn`t mind a txt alert for when i get a message as sometimes i go a whole wk with out switching comp on"   A whole week!!!  I get withdrawal symptoms if I go without t'net for a day!                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

The bulk of uk phone providers charge extra for the web but you still have huge holes in 3g coverage and 2g is no use to browse the web pics do not open and it costs a small fortune if you do use it without a contract to do so (think this ones best left for now Matt) the uptake would be minimal making it a drain on your resources in more way than one. With a possibly tiny uptake it's going to be pricy for those who want it (or for you to provide it) either way I think you'd need a proper forum for this and maybe a 3 month debate to see if it is in fact viable.   A lot of the "dating sites" offer this to it's members I suppose it would be interesting to draw comparisons to them (but be aware that the uptake for those services may be a higher subsciption take up due so some peeps being far more needy/lonely than even they maybe able to admit to themselves).   The only time I'd be tempted to use a phone site for BM would be if I was away for over a period with no access to the web any other way. With local libries offering free internet access and cyber cafes all over I doubt I'd be tempted to pay more for very occasional useage!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 831 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption