brake caliper for cb250n desperately needed!

13 Posts | Latest reply on 16/08/2008 06:07:44 by bikerdude0_2 | Go to original / last post
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

poorly geriatric (1982) superdream needs new brake caliper, has anybody got any words of wisdom? just cant find one anywhere and its the only thing needed for mot pass!!Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
70% Karma70% Karma 70% Karma70% Karma

Can't wave a magic wand, Julie, but if it's any consolation I had the same difficulties last year when I was looking for one. You can get them from people like David Silver, but at a price. The Honda owners club has a forum you can join without being a HOC member - maybe they can help? If by any chance you find two, I'll take the other oneLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Try David Silver Spares as a last resort (at least they should cost less than local dealer).   But I will ask my local bike machanic (also club member if he can source a new and or a 2nd hand one for you!)   He'll give me a better price than either main dealer or David Silver                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

thanks boys, had a look at David Silvers parts list and couldn`t work out which bits i need, mechanic says i need the whole caliper as previous owner has drilled a hole in it and then glued a screw inside it!                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

You should just need the ally bit (caliper body) as all the other parts sould fit back in place although possably a better idea to order a set of piston seals to be on the safe side! Or even get the garage to strip it down to investigate if the plank has damaged any other parts.
bigbling's Profile
bigbling

In: sittingbourne

i have a load of parts in my workshop,i will take a look if i have dose a tenner sound ok                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

The usual thing that happens to Superdream calipers is that the bleed nipple seizes solid due to corrosion. A standard fix is to substitute a new banjo bolt drilled for a nipple, but then there's always a risk that the bolts holding the caloper halves togather have also seized, and it can be a real PITA releasing them without stripping threads. This is where I've got up to - the caliper is useable at the moment, but I can't rebuild it with new seals cos I just can't get the **** thing apart!                                                                                                                                                                              
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

Tried local heat to the bolts Wills?   CAREFUL the calipers melting point is lower of course!                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

Wills.....Have you tried soaking the caliper in Vinegar?   I know the method works as I use it quite often. Vinegar has exceptional penetration (ooooooer) qualities far better than any purpose made anti seizure spray like WD-40.   give it a go...if it fails then pick the bits out and put it on chips.....far more pratical use!                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

I might give that a try - amazing what a bit of dilute acid can do to light alloy! I've tried gentle heat (ie boiling water) without much luck, but the whole Superdream project has ground to a halt over the last year cos of one family crisis after another. I also need a centre stand if anyone knows where one is, a headlight reflector and probably a pair of shocks for an MoT.                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

Why                                                                                                                                                                              
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

Why don't you pm Bigbling? Wills                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerdude0_2's Profile
bikerdude0_2

In: Verwood

Try using an impact driver as well.  The shock impact works well.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0469 seconds. There are 346 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption