So ..... who's afraid of the dark !

43 Posts | Latest reply on 21/07/2012 20:57:06 by earthwind | Go to original / last post
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

I've been going to start this thread for while now but a BMer has just reminded with a conversation in "chat"   Who rides at night ?   Who would be "up" for a "night ride" ?   I'm thinking that ultimately it would be an overnight ride somewhere for breakfast ?   It would also benefit some of our novices to get used to riding their bikes in the dark Approve   After all you will "have" to do it one day so better to get used to it Thumbs Up   Thoughts please Ermm                                                                                                                                                                             
Vladamir's Profile
Vladamir

In: sheffield
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Great idea less cars on the road                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Country lanes become more hazardous with wildlife though - used to work till early hours and had all sorts of run-ins because of badgers and foxes etc. running out in front of bike lol,   Great idea though, I'm much better riding at night, my eyes get tired in sunlight, specially driving                                                                                                                                                                             
VFR800AJ's Profile
VFR800AJ

In: Sutton Coldfield
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Only thing puts me off is the abundance of potholes which haven't been filled in  !!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Eight's Profile
Eight

In: Belper

Fantastic idea, Emz,

Count me in...

Imagine all those lights on my outfit, it would be like floodlights!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Good point Emm Smile Thumbs Up   In that case we'll let you lead the way Wink   "If" we can keep up LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
cavywavy's Profile
cavywavy

In: Ashbourne

Id be up for this depending on when it is, I like ridding in the dark find it very soothing. used to go out for a 3am blast when I was in MK and couldnt sleep :)                                                                                                                                                                             
RickM's Profile
RickM

In: Thorney

Interesting idea emzed, looks like you've got yourself a project.  Count me in !                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

ur all nuts! lol Shocked too much wildlife as someone else said....here you can add deer to THAT list - not a jolly encounter on a bike i can tell ya!
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Good Idea but as said I think riders need to sure thay know what there up agains at night and early morning                                                                                                                                                                              
centurion's Profile
centurion

In: Catterick Garris

Sounds good. Personnaly I love watching an arc of cats eyes reflecting back at me on a good night run, mind you, I actually enjoy riding in fog too!                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Sounds great.   So we have Eight up front with the flood lights on. Someone playing the bagpipes in the chair. Followed by a few Harley's with load pipes, to keep the wild life at bay. ErmmAh, need an idea for the pot holes! Oh yes, a motorway maintenance 8 wheeler full of tarmac and a shovel to  drive a few miles ahead of the convoy.   Sorry for jesting, I couldn't resist it.   It's a good idea emzed.   One thing I notice in the rain late last night, my vision is not as it should be and found it a real strain. So off to the opticians I go.   Riding or driving at night is much more difficult with poor vision when it is raining and even more difficult if you are not familiar with the road.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

This'll be a laugh; parental responsibilities/work permitting I'm up for this!Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
wenders's Profile
wenders

In: Never Never Land

Woooohooo hell yeah im in this one. Lurv riding in the moonlight, great idea, count me in!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

the brecon is fantastic at night three in the morning earily quiet and yes peaceful at the same time like being in the lord of the rings

really really good :) clear no light see the stars ( yes watch out for badgers )

errr a 5 or tyhrough, shrewsbury or  newtown a470 ,and down

then through merthyr and on the dual carriage way

arrive in cardiff in the morning for breakfast after wards

amazing run

earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

or through the scottish highlands straight down through the middle turn along the coast road from john o groats heading west then left onto the main A road,  and downwards but even though its an A road its single track can see other vehicles coming for miles (or go up through the middle) thurn right on the coast road to john o groats

there is a gteat place to stop (if the pub/hotel is still there and ii am sure  they were so nice they would be glad of a few bike types popping in for coffee about 12 ish maybe later have done so  before early hours of the morning am ( midgies permitting )

http://www.visithighlands.com/images/maps/70516

then
http://www.visithighlands.com/images/maps/70524

a836 at tounge its beautiful  

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_scotland.htm

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Amazing responses so far peeps Big smile   Keep them coming please Wink   I thought it might appeal to a few LOL   I'm working on some ideas at the moment Ermm   But always open to suggestions Approve   Will post more later Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                               
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Just a thought regarding pot holes.   How about getting a BM local to ride the proposed route a couple of days before in the daytime. They could then at least give us an all clear, or report on areas to watch out for on the pot hole front.                                                                                                                                                                             
esspique's Profile
esspique

In: Huddersfield and

Love it. Night riding is great fun, less hassle, very few cars, no coppers, wild life usually doesn't present a problem with a bike because they hear you coming. Unlike cars that are very quiet, and I ride alot at night, 200 miles each way when i ride. The main problem you get on dark unlit country trunk roads, is truck headlights, you get an eyefull of 4 x 24v 90watt Halogens on full beam doing 60 mph on a road you don't know, not funny. The other is the cold. Even in summer, when it gets to 3 -4 o'clock the temp can drop, and drop rapidly, it's coldest just before the sun comes up, don't get caught out in thin riding gear, once you start to shiver you've lost it. I don't want to teach you guys how to suck eggs, but even I get caught sometimes. Like I said night riding is great, but it's not the 10 ,11 ,12 o'clock at night that gets you, it's the 3 - 4 'clock n the morning that'll do it.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Sounds like fun, I've done a bit of night riding in the past, the only thing that would concern me is the risk of being 'not seen' by other road users.                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8438 seconds. There are 995 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption