New Rules for Driving Licences

17 Posts | Latest reply on 12/06/2011 14:49:11 by slang | Go to original / last post
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Ok, not directly motorcycle related, but given the number of bike accidents where young drivers (note; the data in the motorcycling compendium does not state who was at fault or whether the young party was driver or rider) it could well be relevant.   http://www.confused.com/featured-articles/motoring/car-...ontent=May                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Sorry about the formatting, did it on my phone.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

fixed  :-D                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
72% Karma72% Karma 72% Karma72% Karma

We've had the road safety pressure group Brake in  these forums before. It's not very politically correct to contradict a group that says it's dedicated to saving lives etc, but if you look at what they're aiming for here http://www.brake.org.uk/target-zero then it does seem to me they're losing sight of the wood for the trees.

YID's Profile
YID

In: Scarborough
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

They don't half smoke smoke some wierd sh*t in those brake offices, another stream of bullsh*t from an index linked Quango.
Brakes road safety manifest is to make traveling safer by banning all forms of road transport other than pedestrians, makes a nice computer model but not very practical In the real world.
Clowns!

Rant over, go about your business, nothing to see here!
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

I used to deal with the road safety lobby when I worked for the BMF and they were well-meaning but clueless, safety fanatics or had some hidden agenda. The worst one was RoadPeace  from which the BMF severed all from but Brake is not much better. Personally, I don't think they know how to sit the right way round on a lavatory, let alone a motorcycle.
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Oh come on cataraptor every one knows you sit on the loo looking at the cistern, where else would you rest your book, laptop etc. :-)
As for Brake, I've yet to see any ideas that they have that would work in the real world.
Yes I think there should be some sort of restriction on young drivers the same as there is with bikes.
Will insurance come down for new drivers if these proposals came in, I don't think so myself, insurance companies equals licence to fleece all motorists and they won't want that to stop.
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Brake do have some very good ideas ... unfortunately, they're few and far between lol!

As I've said before, leave the road safety to the professionals!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

To be honest some of the things I quite agree with, a novice young bike rider cannot go out and get a big bike till has ridden for so long or gets to a certain age so why should a young driver?

Also a lower Alcohol limit, lessons on motorways, 2 year novice licence, restriction on carrying young children (unless they are their own kids)

Biking has been discribed as being an old persons mode of transport, due to the difficulties and restrictions young riders face, when you look at the stats for young drivers now 12% of licence holders under 24 but 25% of deaths or serious accidents caused by them,IMO something needs to be done. And if that means young car drivers have to jump through a few hoops to prove they can drive so be it.

Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Some of it does seem rather extreme but must admit instead of lowering the alcohol level why not just make the level zero for everyone.  An older drunk person behind the wheel is just as dangerous as a youngster.                                                                                                                                                                              
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

In: Rotherhell

The alcohol level can't be zero because of things like trifle and christmas pud.

SPESH's Profile
SPESH

In: Rugeley In The S
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

I also have some opinions on this matter.
I believe a restriction on the engine and power of a car, for younger drivers once they are fully qualified, ie pass there test, would serve as a better idea.
As we all know a younger rider passing there test faces a two year period on a restricted bike (33bhp), which gives them time to get used riding a larger machine.
But a young driver (17 or over), can pass there test then go and buy a extremely powerfull car, without any restiction (other than the extremely high insurance costs).
So a restricted car of say 70 bhp would be a good idea.
But a curfew could cause more problems for a younger driver who needs to travel around late at night. ie cook, health care worker or bar workers.
An even playing field for all.
bic chick's Profile
bic chick

In: Tamworth

I agree with canyoutameme given that the majority would be penalised for the ones that are silly.They have far more expense than many of us older ones had at that age and more jobs available to earn from in this backward world the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  I would like to know what age groups make up the other 75%. also gender stats would be interesting, given that the E.U. have wiped the idea that woman have fewer accidents than men from insurance policy thinking, i dont believe male insurance came down this year as woman had to pay more trying to balance the books.                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

RED TAPE toting morrons who aspire to work for tax office but would settle for traffic wardens or speed gun operators jobs worth good for nowt get lost and let us get on with our lives , i never break the law intensionaly anyway but every time i get in my car or on my bike i feel like a criminal !!!         rant over ! ah feel better now mite go out and break the speed limit now                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I could'nt believe what I read on the brake site, Unbelievable ( said in a very Victor Meldrew way) Unfortunately its Analy retentive   groups like these that shout loudest  and get heard ,be their ideas reasonable or not and if the Government can spin cash out of bringing into play some of ideas they will  ,justifying it as "being Green" or "Promoting  Road safety and stopping Anti social Driving"  a good reason I think for alot of us to join a group such as the BMF that gives us a voice .
 One thing I read there was :Driver licensing requires mental as well as physical health assessment, to rigorous standards . I've suffered from Depression in the past would I be deemed unfit to hold a license by not meeting their " Rigorous Standards"? , this trend towards discriminating against people having suffered from Depression is worrying .I was told recently that if you have ever been treated for Depression you can not be considered to adopt children . There is enough stigma connected with this illness as it is and rulings such as this are going to add to it as well as making people or the more fearful of seeking help when they really need it .
 Anyway I guess we really should consider our selfs lucky to have the freedom on the roads that we have presently.I'm sure we will look back in not too many years saying "Remember when you could still......." 
 Now i've gone on about one specific item that is personal to myself and there are many more that affect us all as drivers in general and Motorcyclists especially. We all sit online ,at home or down the pub bitching and moaning about this and that. We all enjoy our bikes and ride outs , so why not make some of our ride outs protests or as a Biker Match group agree to attend a few protests arranged by larger groups .I hav'nt seen any protest rides posted in the Events Forum (I may have missed them)  Maybe something to consider, "just a thought"

Mark                                                                                                                                                                             
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

In: Rotherhell

Brake is a limp dick. It's too extreme to ever get any of their agenda passed. Other road safety groups are distancing themselves from these nutters, so I wouldn't worry.                                                                                                                                                                             
slang's Profile
slang

In: Wishaw

Woudn't  it be a better idea for everyone under 25  be made to pass their bike licence first , before they are allowed to sit their driving test?                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6406 seconds. There are 379 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption