Driving Licence - Photo renewal

34 Posts | Latest reply on 22/05/2011 13:48:39 by Rattay | Go to original / last post
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

The old green and pink paper licence is still perfectly legal up to the date printed on it.  As CR says, you can even still use them abroad for hiring cars if you have a passport to prove identity.

The only real issues you may find is that many companies in the UK that accept a driving licence as ID, probably won't accept the old style.  Also, you can't use them as ID for domestic flights.  However, again, in both cases your passport should be fine.

The big potential issue is if you commit a traffic violation whilst abroad.  In this case the local police may well need to liaise with the UK DVLA in order to confirm that you can legally drive whatever vehicle you're in or on!

This could mean the difference between a quick check of your licence and a "ok, I'll let you off this time" and a couple of nights in jail!  And I know which option I prefer lol!

Regarding the cost of renewing it every ten years, it does at the end of the day only equate to £2 per year!  And someone has to be paid to do the job.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

cheers WB                                                                                                                                                                              
Weirdoraptor's Profile
Weirdoraptor

In: Brough, E. Yorks

I changed my address last year and went from a paper to photo licence. I did it on line and it was FREEEEEE  !!!   Thumbs Up   I had put it off for ages, forgetting to use the photo booths each time i passed them, then someone told me they can use your passport photo if you do it online.   Half hour later it was done, one week later i got my licence.   Geddin!                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

tiz done was a fairly straight forward job ! lets see if they get it right at there end eh ??                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

dont you have to by law have both types now ?                                                                                                                                                                              
loving it's Profile
loving it

In: Bradford

hi Wierdoraptor.....where did you go on-line to change your license?                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

wheelbarrow put a link up just before wierdo i followed that one cut and paste it                                                                                                                                                                              
loving it's Profile
loving it

In: Bradford

Thanks WheelyNealy Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

whats a driving licence ....................... only joking                                                                                                                                                                              
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country

I got the same thing through, just did it.  What is even scarier is that if you don't do it your license is cancelled and you have to RE-SIT every test - Shocked, bet they don't use the £20's towards the fecking pot holes in the roads.
sifimedia's Profile
sifimedia

In: Paddock Wood

This Proof of Identity is a problem without Photo ID.

My conveyancing solicitor has given me 4 choices of proof of ID:

Valid Full UK or Euro Passport
New Style Full UK/EC Photo driving Licence
Armed Forces ID card
Freedom Travel Pass with Photo ID

I have none of these!! No passport, paper licence only, not in the forces, too young for freedom pass (thank gawd).....

Help... I don't know who I am!!    Tesco Clubcard anyone?
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

In: Rotherhell

When the time comes for mine to be renewed I'm going to doing it personally with 20 quids worth of 1 pences.                                                                                                                                                                              
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

I don't trust the buggers at DVLA not to 'lose' my motorcycling entitlement so I will be getting an affidavit before sending my licence in for a photo one. However, I probably won't do so until I move and this will not be for at least a couple of years.
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

There was at one time a lot of problems with people not getting their motorcycle entilement when they applied for the new style licence. When I sent in my paper licence a few years ago because I was fed up of the expired endorsements on show, I did the old change of address reason so it was free. I photocopied the old licence, having heard of the entitlement problems but mine came back ok, but, only valid for 10 years, so in 2016 they will be scamming me for more cash I suppose. I guess their 'reasons' must be that your appearance changes from the photo of yourself after 10 years?                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5781 seconds. There are 480 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption