North West 200

33 Posts | Latest reply on 09/05/2011 17:22:09 by micksaway | Go to original / last post
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Been announced today that 2011 NW200 will run only 5 races 2 superbike, 2 supersport and a superstock race. If i wasnt living here i think i'd be booking to come out for the Ulster GP in August instead. 10 times better racing, better access to the pits etc and you wont get ripped off.
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

Was thinking about this. How many days is it over, never been and thought I would try it but you've put doubt in my mind now.                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

NW is practice tuesday/thursday Racing saturday 21st May 2011 you'll pay thru the nose for everything. 10 quid to get in the paddock 10 quid to park. 18 quid for a program.   Ulster is actually 2 races in one Dundrod 150 and the Ulster GP.  wednesday 10th Aug is practice then racing on 11th Aug and the Prix on saturday 13th. You pay 15 quid for the week no extra for pits, program etc. There is also one of the Nationals on Saturday 6th august. so you could make a week of it and get 4 days racing. No charge for nationals but you could buy a program for 10 quid.Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

3 years ago we just walked into the paddock, no one there taking any entrance fee, program was only 10 quid,so has it gone up that much? spent our time in this blokes garden during the races at Church Corner they even shared a few beers with us We stayed at Ballymena which is about 30 miles from the races, nice ride up for the Thursday practice watching at the roundabout then train to get there on the Saturday for the races. Been 3 times now and enjoyed it every time. Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

yes its gone up THAT much...no chance of getting in the pits without sticking your hand in your pocket £18 quid for a program!! I know Ballymena i live within its borough although 15 miles away from the town. You will always get hospitality..the northern irish still have a poor reputation abroad based on "the troubles" but 99% of the population dont give a shit about religion/politics and wherever you go here you'll always have people go outta their way to look after you. But the NW has become like the TT...more interested in the colour of your money and less interested in giving you value for it. Before i moved here 7 yrs ago i thought the NW was superb too. Now having been to almost every race on this island and there were i think 11 this year i can honestly say you'll be made more welcome at every other race. If you want to see the top teams/riders then wait til august and come for the prix...a will guarantee it will be an eye opener to just how shite the NW is! if anyone wants to take me up on that i can help you with the planning and direct you towards some good biker friendly b&b's and cheap ferry deals.                                                                                                                                                                             
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

In: Belfast/Larne

I concur !  The UGP is far better racing, not to mention it being the fastest roadrace on the planet.
Just be aware, not to expect the seaside towns, bars and resturaunts you get at the NW200, as the UGP is in the sticks.  Although saying that, its only 20-30min from Belfast and Lisburn.  Well worth the trip over. Thumbs Up

kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

ah driftnslide was wonderin when you'd stick your oar in! delighted to hear u concur...but sure why you not extolling the tourism virtues of Larne or Ballymena??? and fkn ell Lisburn only has one b&b! lol lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

is there a campsite near UGP ?  a bar?  shop for a carry oot ? 

kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

you can camp in the field right next to the pits free so long as you buy a program and the mandatory 15 quid for the week wristband gets u access all areas that arent prohibited, and theres a bar behind the grandstand at the pits. Nearest pub is Ballymac hotel at the end of the straight and turn left. Only bar on the circuit is Gerrys - the farm at the top of Deers Leap...he opens only in GP week.   for more info www.ulstergrandprix.net                                                                                                                                                                               
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

"ah driftnslide was wonderin when you'd stick your oar in!"

?????  Did I say something wrong there ?????  I've been a supporter and regular visitor to th UGP and local races for 30 odd years now.  I'm just pointing out to any would be visitors not to expect the same facilities nearby, as the NW200.  I agree the NW is in danger of disappearing up its own arse, but please feel free to correct me if you think I've said something out of place.  Lisburn is a city now, havent you heard ? lol

kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

no you didnt say owt wrong....was just surprised it took you so long to speak up! Wink maybe sticking your oar in was a bit too cheeky! lol  was just a wee prod at you! LOL dont be prickly LOL Lisburn is a city! lol lol for the  benefit of those thats never had the pleasure its the size of buxton! lol                                                                                                                                                                             
HIGHLINER's Profile
HIGHLINER

In: Stoke-on-Trent

Bloody hell!! you've made my day now kwakgirl... NOT!!   We've just booked ferry for NW200, 1st time for us,  I was looking forward to it till you pi@@ed on my bonfire LOL
Seriously, we considered Ulster GP but her indoors could'nt get the time off, there must be something good you can say about it. PLEASE???                                                                                                                                                                              
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

The NW is still a great event mate, you'll definitely have a great time.  Its set on a nice part of the Antrim Coast, between 2 seaside towns and a great shopping town.   The biking roads are great, the people are the best you'll meet in the world, there's good nightlife, good craic, and its still superb racing.  The UGP is a bit more of an entusiasts race, with much less facilities but cheaper, better racing.
You'll come back to the NW200 again, and likewise if you visit the UGP but for different reasons.
HIGHLINER's Profile
HIGHLINER

Thanks for that D'n'S, were taking the caravan over for the week, ferries booked and paid for but we've come to a bit of a dead stop on the camping side. The official camping looks to be silly money, we emailed Blairs caravans for info but kinda give up on them, got a half promise from a site in Portrush but have got to wait until 1st week of new year for confirmation, any recommendations will be gratefully received.
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

You should get a few "drive in on the day" campsites that week, if your really stuck.  Don't let that put you off. A lot of the official carparks usualy end up as campsites, but your much less likely to get any hassle from the officials in a caravan as opposed to a tent.  Caravans and Tourers seem to be better catered for more than tents. 
As for official campsites, the ones at the paddock area I would imagine to be extortionate, and they're squeezed in like sardine tins.
My advise would be try, Carrick Dhu and Juniper Hill sites, on the Ballyreagh Rd, Ballymacrea caravan park on Ballybogey Rd, Skerries Holiday Park on Dunluce Rd, Ballyness Caravan Park on Castlecatt Rd, Bushmills, Bush Caravan Park on Priestland Rd, Bushmills, Ballyleese Town & Country Park in Porstewart and O'Neils caravan park on Mill Rd Portstewart.  You'll find it quite expensive for a site anywhere at the NW week though.  But shop around, you could even touch for the field at the back of someones house nearby. lol  
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

Sorry Highliner i have nothing good to say about...other than it is a "spectacle" but its not my idea of how racing here is...up close and personal...and having seen the plans for 2011 you will be further away than ever from the roadside. H&S and all that crap!  Agree with DnS on camp sites although i would say you def need to book. if you want somewhere away from the pissheads then would suggest one of the sites in Ballycastle - 20 mins drive from the circuit but a pleasant sea side town with plenty of offer evenings with a bit less of the drunkeness. When i used to come out for the NW before i moved here i used to stay at a mates house there. if you really wanna be in the thick of it then obviously Portrush is the place but expect to get fleeced that week.Disapprove                                                                                                                                                                             
HIGHLINER's Profile
HIGHLINER

Thanks to both of you, we really appreciate any help you can give us. We would definately book somewhere before we go, Ballymacrea is the site on which we are awaiting confimation, they seem to be very nice people and the reviews are excellent, but I will also check out those other sites you mentioned, thanks DnS.         Ballycastle looks interesting and worth exploring too, thanks. If im honest I can probably see this being a one off anyway so the money side is not a big issue, but you can be sure i'll be on the lookout for anybody taking the piss! Just one more thing, sorry to be a pain but...Are there any particular locations we should be looking for to spectate?  Maybe close to a pub?? (ahem, not for me you understand, its the wife, she's a right alchi!!  LOL                                                                                                                                                                                 
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

there is a bar on the coast road but i would avoid it as for the past few years theres been trouble of one sort or another. The other place is the magherabhoy chicane...you can use the bar in the hotel there...if its raining they have a big screen too. but it will be bunged same as everywhere. Do what everyone else does - go to the offy first and bring your blue bag! lol Good places to watch.....one for you DnS....so long since ive spectated there i wouldnt know where you can and cant go nowadays. Metropole, the embankment or nr church corner always my favs. BTW theres talk in the press today of them moving the date forward a week if the bsb at Croft will also move. it might just be paper talk but will let you know if they actually apply for the new date in the next week or so.                                                                                                                                                                             
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

Honestly... if I were you and travelling so far, I'd spend £16 on one of the grandstands at the start/finish/paddock.  Its a small extra cost but your guaranteed good viewing, a seat and a big screen to watch them the rest of the way round the course. You also have access to the paddock, which is a tenner, but you can brass neck it sometimes and walk straight in.  I've used the paddock 2 grandstand for the last few years.  Theres a bar in the paddock and plenty of fast food vans around.  Bushmills, Portbalintrae and Portstewart are also places within a few miles of the circuit worth staying. 
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

panic over.... 30th November 2010 NW200 still set for 21st May 2011 International North West 200 technical director Mervyn Whyte MBE has confirmed that Saturday 21st May 2011 will be retained as the date for next year’s top road racing event. Explained Mervyn, “Coleraine & District Motor Club Ltd had set and announced the date a number of weeks ago to dovetail with the British Superbike’s 2011 programme and Saturday 21st May is the only free week-end during May. It is unfortunate that our agreed date clashes with a round of the World Endurance Race in Albacete, Spain. “As we had formally announced timings many visitors and fans had gone ahead and made travel arrangements and booked accommodation and preparations are already in place for number of annual festival events which take place around the North West 200. It would therefore be unfair to attempt to change dates during what is already an incredibly busy period for motorbike racing. “Each year the Coleraine Club aims to attract a top quality line up of teams and competitors to ensure a thrilling and exciting programme of racing and 2011 will be no exception.” Ends                                                                                                                                                                               

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9531 seconds. There are 554 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption