Services by Emergency Rider Volunteers

55 Posts | Latest reply on 14/08/2011 17:22:55 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
desres's Profile
desres

In: Pontblyddyn
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Closest thing to a co-ordinated site is:

http://www.bloodbikes.org.uk/

http://www.bloodbikes.org.uk/index.php/history

but there are others too                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

Excellent info there desresThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
oldyeti's Profile
oldyeti

In: Hartlepool now
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

yep, been to  those sites already, not here yet. pity                                                                                                                                                                             
desres's Profile
desres

I wrote to NABB about setting up a NW group and this is the response:

"I have set up a meeting for people that are interested in finding out more about what is involved in starting and operating a blood bike group."

We have arranged a meeting for those people in the North West 
that are interested in finding out about the work of the Nationwide Association of Blood Bikes and what’s involved in starting a new group. The meeting will be in the form of a presentation, followed by a question & answer session. I would expect that the meeting will last around 2 hours, depending on the amount 
of discussion.

Please let me know if you can attend, so that we ensure we 
have enough seats etc. The meeting will start at 7pm, on Tuesday the 15th February 2011.

Venue details:

Workies,
Poynton Workmen’s Club
142 Park Lane
Poynton
Stockport
SK12 1RG

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SK12+1RG&um=1&i...CBYQ8gEwAA

Hope this helps

Rgds Des                                                                                                                                                                              
desres's Profile
desres

** bump **

desres's Profile
desres

Events page now updated:
 http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_details.asp?event_id=1361                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
46% Karma46% Karma 46% Karma46% Karma

Perhaps those who attend this event could take some spare change (donation to the funds)  and help the new courier group on its way?   I wish everyone who joins the N W branch of NABB safe and successful assignments.   How about someone creating a flyer and posting it on here, or their profile, and we all (Biker Match members) print some off and leave them at biker venues? A flyer that has contact details for all UK branches.                                                                                                                                                                                  
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

I have asked about Scotland and there is nothing up here at the moment.  There are supposed to be two guys from Glasgow looking into it so my details have been passed on.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start this one here Thumbs Up

fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

In: north Wales

has anybody thought of contacting your ambulance service too ?   I've worked for the  Welsh ambulance for coming up to 20 years now and have so often been requested to move bloods, notes, fluids etc all over the place.  We normally use cars or did when I did that side of the planning of things but I moved to the emergency side about 15 years ago.    The car drivers were voluntary but were also paid and still are.   If the service can get away with not paying then I'm damned sure that they would use you providing the checks are conducted properly.   I've never known us to use bike riders but no harm in trying. Anybody also thought of volunteering in other ways ?   Since my accident I've noticed major issues with the health service and social services.   In particular socilal services.   I've been non weightbearing now for 3 months but my care was stopped after 6 weeks.   I'm lucky in the fact that my determination to get back on my feet eventually has forced me to get on with life and do what i can for myself cos I live on my own, but how many biking or other accident people are in the same situation and cant manage everything?   I'm not talking about personal care here but things outside for example - putting bins out, cleaning after a dog, grass cutting etc - I can get outside now cos I've had to hire another wheelchair, 1 for out and 1 for in plus a gutter frame for upstairs.   Why do we pay our national insurance ????    If you know of anybody in this position, then why not call by them and see if you can help.   I can guarantee that your help would be greatly appreciated by people and they'll never forget you for it.                                                                                                                                                                             
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

Dear Mr Smith,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding volunteer bikers and the transport of blood in Scotland.

SNBTS has received similar enquiries and requests to provide a volunteer transport service in the past. After careful consideration, we have to decline offers to provide such a service. There are two main areas that have led us to this decision.

The first is our obligation to meet the regulatory requirements of the UK Blood Safety and Quality Regulations 2005 (BSQR). These set legally binding standards for quality and safety in the distribution of human blood components. We are regulated on these regulations by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and are subject to regular audits.

There is a specific requirement within the BSQR that blood and blood components should be transported by a secure system using transit containers, packing materials and procedures that have been validated for the purpose. Our transport containers are fully validated for transport within a vehicle, where they are protected from the elements and the extremes of temperature. The insulated and temperature-controlled areas in our vehicles are fully mapped and validated on an annual basis and audited by our external regulator. If containers are carried by non-SNBTS personnel, they must be security sealed and cannot be opened and decanted prior to receipt at the hospital laboratory. We appreciate that your proposal probably includes transport within panniers or top boxes, but at approximately 0.35m cubed the boxes are unlikely to fit, nor be protected from the extremes of weather and temperature. We could breach our regulatory obligations if distribution were by motorbike. In fact SNBTS did use a motorbike for deliveries in the past, but ceased due to these very issues.

The second is our obligation to meet the regulatory requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA) 1974. Section 3 of the Act imposes a duty on every employer ‘to ensure, as far as reasonably practicable, that persons not in their employment (volunteers), who may be affected by their undertaking, are not exposed to risks to their health or safety’.

We recognise that any routine delivery can be upgraded to an emergency during the journey, and our drivers are contactable by the despatch team to enable this to be communicated.  Emergency delivery carries an additional risk to our driver and other road users. To meet our HSWA obligation for professional drivers employed within SNBTS, we have a comprehensive selection and training programme. This includes a pre-selection criterion that requires drivers to have a clean license pre-employment, a driver’s medical examination and thorough interview process. Once employed there is a lengthy training programme that includes an advanced drivers course, skidpan training and finally two-week ‘blue-light’ training, currently delivered by the Police Driving School. Drivers are then assessed on the road by an SNBTS trainer who ensures that they meet requirements before commencing deliveries. This assessment is an ongoing process to enable us to demonstrate compliance with all regulatory requirements. We could not provide this level of training nor the associated compliance discipline for non-employees.

You may be aware that  volunteer motorcycle delivery organisations are used by hospitals in England.  In Scotland, SNBTS provide a free delivery service to hospitals in Scotland, 24 hours every day of the year, and our customers are satisfied with the service. In England however, there is a charge for all deliveries by NHS Blood and Transplant to hospitals. It is this charge that creates the demand for free ‘out of hours’ delivery. 

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us with your proposal and offer of support. It is very much appreciated and I am sorry we cannot progress it any further.

Kind regards,

Mags Dunleavy
Senior Public Affairs Officer
Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
46% Karma46% Karma 46% Karma46% Karma

Refreshing the topic                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

i would sine up for anything in the birmingham west midlands                                                                                                                                                                                
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i have looked in to becoming one of the riders   not a chance you have to be an reconized advanced rider with a creddited company and then you would be put on the waiting list                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That's a shame Big Clive,Ouch   Points are also a concern, as they are a charity. I passed the advanced ticket, approached them, but was told.... "Unfortunately 9 points would be a definite no with our insurer. If you reach the point where you have 6 points within the past 5 years then it may be OK depending on what the points were for and on who are are using to insure us at the time. Previous insurers have been even more strict and the restriction was 3 points. "   Which is fair enough I guess..... my own silly fault - just have to hang on for a while  Cry   Still, I'll get there eventually!  Smile   Rob                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

forgot points i have 3 on mine   but i have looked in to the prices of advanced courses    way out my pocket money range                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5742 seconds. There are 319 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption