Well that's a weird one

13 Posts | Latest replyย on 13/07/2020 18:48:28 by NorfolkNgood | Go to original / last post
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

In: Norwich
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

The ignition on my gpz 500s keeps going dead and the engine dies .
if i turn my lights on , hey presto the ignition comes back on and the bike fires up fine .
very confusing ,                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

Shorting out due to corrosion in a connector block by the sound of it?...pull the tank and seat off,then pull each connector block apart ,blast of WD40 or similar, looking out for any green furry ones...ditto check both ends of both leads to battery...same with switchgear...sunday morning job..๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

Thanks already tried that today , it's something to do with handle bar switch .                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Side stand cut out switch..I think this machine has one. They sit out in the grime and vibration and seldom get a look at..short out the terminals/connectors and try a whizz round the block..be sure to remember its disconnected and see if that cures it. Make sure to Reconnect after your test ๐Ÿ˜Œ
TheSlasher's Profile
TheSlasher

In: chesterfield
29% Karma29% Karma 29% Karma29% Karma

With lights you mean headlights? Don't they come on automatic when ignition is on?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Not all bikes lights switch on when ignition is turned on and i know the gpz500s is one of those, it has a on/off switch. He needs to dismantle the switchgear and clean up the terminals and as trev says also the sidestand switch,                                                                                                                                                                             
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

Thanks for the replies . i will check the side stand switch later this afternoon , and let you know the result .Adie                                                                                                                                                                             
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

Ah well it's not the side stand switch ,                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

To me it's sounds like a wire shorting out in the switch gear or the wiring from the ignition to the switch gear.

If you can't see anything amiss within the switch gear do what Jinx's says and make it swim in WD40

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Well at least you are eliminating things which is the only way with intermittent faults..It could be an earth strap failure..unbolt, clean up the contact surfaces and reattach with a bit of grease....then another test ride to see if that solves it ๐Ÿ™„..good luck..
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

At the moment ,it's not running long enough for a test ride , i will get there with it though . it's definitely a short somewhere, i have ordered some contact cleaner to see if that does any good .                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

It may have a tilt switch under the seat. Easy to find it has UP printed on it.                                                                                                                                                                             
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

Think it's sorted now , it was the main 30 amp fuse in the solenoid main electrics connector . when the fuse got hot it was separating from the pin one end and killing the bike ,seems to be fine now ,
thanks for all the suggestions guys .                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5156 seconds. There are 462 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption