does he need to pass a CBT first

6 Posts | Latest reply on 09/07/2020 07:18:40 by Ragnar | Go to original / last post
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

In: Norwich
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

i have converted my son in laws first bike into a cafe racer . a honda cg 125 . looks quite nice even if i say so myself .
he tells me he can ride it without passing his CBT if he is under instruction from a qualified rider ,that would be me .
i must say he is a natural at riding a bike .
does anyone know if this is the case ?
i have looked this up but come up with nothing
any help would be appreciated .
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

The simple answer is YES.
He MUST complete a CBT to ride on the road and once his got his CBT he can only ride up to a 125cc.
The only time he can ride anything bigger is if he is with a fully qualified DAS (Direct Access Scheme) instructor linked with a radio.
The only way around not doing a CBT is if he passed his car test before 1/2/01 and then he can only ride a 50cc, but most insurance companies will still insist on a CBT certificate.
NorfolkNgood 's Profile
NorfolkNgood

In: Norwich
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Thanks for the reply . i thought he had to pass his CBT first , before he could legally ride on the road , guess i will have to train him on private roads ,                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

If you think he is a natural he will be ahead of others doing their CBT that day and the T in CBT does stand for Training.
And one of the hardest think for instructors is getting people out of bad habits that they have already picked up, so you are better letting the instructors do their job. That's what he will be paying them for.
zx12r ninja 03's Profile
zx12r ninja 03

In: hednesford
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

As above , yes he must ,he would also need the certificate for insurance , I stopped riding for 6 years , started again on zzr1100 and insurance company asked for my cbt, but I did a little moaning at them saying I have passed one , have lost it ,but why do I need to produce if I have a full licence ??
In the end they said it's OK
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

@ZZR that sounds like someone at the insurance company not knowing what they are talking about.
Once you have a full motorcycle licence you would not need a CBT certificate or complete a CBT unless you lose your licence and have to re-take your test again.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3750 seconds. There are 411 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption