Cleaning products

23 Posts | Latest reply on 15/07/2020 18:06:05 by Tezza1958 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi everyone fairly new here joined in the week was wondering what products everyone uses to clean and shine their bikes. After a days ride I use a product which is really good for getting rid of the bugs which I also use on my lorry windscreen called fly away made by Chrome is really good at shifting those stuck on bugs.

Thanks all
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

A Karcher to loosen most stuff,especially around engine/exhaust...amazing how many tiny crevices your fingers can't get into,lol...don't forget to stick an old rubber glove over end can !!
Most of my bikes have Stainless steel exhausts,so just old tshirts torn into strips and Solvol Autosol..
Paintwork just hot water,then VW/Audi wax polish to shine(cheaper than some,better than most)..my car gets washed when it rains...:)>
Oh,nearly forgot,NEVER throw away old toothbrushes...great for spoked wheels and awkward corners..:)>
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Bucket of warm water, simoniz car wash and wax and sponge and some elbow grease. Thats it.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Lots of stuff out in the market place but not seen fly away truck screens are a bitch to clean unless your 9ft tall                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Jp they aren’t to bad if you have steps on the front that pull out like I do on my Volvo lol the fly away product by Crome is purple liquid works really well most truck parks and shell garages sell the Crome products                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Becky I drive an MAN so screen is a pain in the ass as you only got the bumper step which don't give much access I will have to keep an eye out for some thanks for the info I find it helps if we can see where we are going and who we are crashing into lol                                                                                                                                                                             
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

In: Wakefield
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

My Bro used to use Autosol for his chrome by applying it with his hand. Let it dry a little then polished it off with a duster or bit of old rag. Used to mess his hands up I can tell you. His theory that putting it on by hand was more purer and the cream didn't soak into the cloth during application?

I used to like the Autosol cream too in a can, rather than the tube version. Don't use it much now, as it takes me a at least 2-4 hours polishing to do a full job and I can't be bothered . But oh that smell brings back the memories 😁 70's
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Ah I see the problem jp lol the windscreens are massive on MAN trucks as well. Yorkie Mick I’ve never seen the can version of autosol I quite like the Mother’s metal polish and the Meguairs one is also good don’t have any shiny metal to polish on my current bike though lol.
eastanglianbiker's Profile
eastanglianbiker

In: ely

spray down with a hose then i use a product called *clean my ride* great stuff to use                                                                                                                                                                             
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

In: Wakefield
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

Becky I still have a couple of old tins of cream Autosol somewhere?
Not sure they still sell it though 🤔                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Don't discount simple old soaking? Wet cloth laid over body panels/windshields for a few minutes before washing off. Bugs and splatters just wash away so much easier with no more than soapy water. Saves mucho picking and rubbing which just makes scratch marks.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hiya new on here, I use a product called Greased Lightening, does an excellent job on paint, chrome and perspex if you have a screen, a little goes a long way.
Put it on wipe it off, showroom shine.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

JP, extendable handle window cleaning brush, very lightweight, also has rubber edge, like window cleaners use. The brush head tilts.
I used to use mine on my house windows, but I live in a first floor flat and it doesn't go that far, plus my neighbour has fenced off my, and window cleaners, access to windows.(Don't ask!)
JP's Profile
JP

I know the ones you mean Sandie but they are too soft to get bugs and road grease off truck screens                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Aww, that's a shame JP.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I use Autoglym. First wash with 'shampoo', then rinse with plain water, then polish with 'resin polisher', then do plastics with 'vinyl and rubber' (or plastic and trim). I've done bare metal with autoglym metal polish in the past, but these days I don't bother.

On a tangential note ... I spray my engine (liberally) with GT85 after every ride in summer and do a couple of treatments with ACF50 in the winter. But, after (recently) watching the test done by Bennets social (watch it here: https://youtu.be/R5LSxpoqcWo), I'm thinking of switching to FS365 for winter treatment.
Tezza1958's Profile
Tezza1958

In: Scotter Common
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Pressure washer and tfr, in the winter just to get the salt off, if I can be bothered, and that is not often, rain does a pretty good job, I can’t see it when I am riding it anyway, and it don’t make it go any better.
Rather ride em than clean em.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I ride 'em AND clean 'em. Maybe I'm weird, but I kinda like cleaning 'em.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That weird you cleaned yourself off the site. Lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
Tezza1958's Profile
Tezza1958

In: Scotter Common
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

He must have got in the way of my pressure washer                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7150 seconds. There are 363 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption