Sat nav advice

18 Posts | Latest reply聽on 30/07/2020 18:40:35 by Igytom | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Id like a sat nav for my Busa, any recommendations on system and mounting please...                                                                                                                                                                             
Gallowglass's Profile
Gallowglass

In: Hertford

I think Garmin has the most intuitive rider interface, and seem to be just a little more weatherproof than TomTom, from what I have heard from friends- depends what kind of weather you ride in. In fairness, though, it took a pretty bad day of Bavarian snow and rain to make my last TomTom play up. Fitting I can't help with, being completely inept in any mechanical wizardry apart from chain adjustment, but I have one located on the left side on one bike and one in the middle over the clocks for the other- checking the visuals makes little difference in practice, I have found.
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

This one comes up from time to time, this was the last time someone asked, I hope it helps.

https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/forum/posts.asp?topic_id=14207
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I've never used a satnav, I always just wing it and use road signs, and always get lost and find the most amazing places never to be seen again                                                                                                                                                                             
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

In: Wakefield
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

I know Satnavs are a godsend and any technology that helps is great.

But I've never been inclined to regularly use them. Even though I have a couple in my possession.

Story time 馃槢I remember a friend who had recently become a delivery driver. Whenever he called me he would subsequently get onto the problems he'd had while out delivering during the day. His main gripe was when his Satnav packed in and he had no idea what to do. He was like a fish out of water.

In my day of delivery driving all you had was a UK map book and a bag of A-Z guides for each city area location. Your Satnav was in your head and if you couldn't source the delivery point (when near location) or with your A-Z, your resulting option was to jump out of your lorry and ask for directions. This usually worked quite well except when in London. Countless times I was ignored by people on the street 馃槧 Unless I was talking to someone who was born within the sound of Bow bells 馃榿

Or when I was once in the middle of the Bullring in Birmingham central. When a retired parcel driver not only helped me find my delivery point there, but stayed with me all the way and the rest of the day (breaching Insurance) naughty 馃槵to help me get all my multi drops off. He was my guardian angel that day. Helping me avoid another night out.

Having said all that I think I would possibly use a Satnav if I went to the continent and the expanse of Europe. But really I do love the challenge and excitement of following your nose and directions given out, with the fun and frill of old school adventure. Maybe getting lost 馃槀馃槀
So I'm with Pauls thinking here.

Another example too, was when I was once looking for the Castlerigg standing stones in the Lake District near Keswick. I took a wrong turn and pulled off left onto a B road, stumbling on an old but unknown classic vehicle museum, with old school farm and traction engines. Asking directions for Castlerigg, I was then treated to my very own personal tour around the facility. Something I wouldn't have got using a satnav.

But it's everybody's preference and I very much understand people's use of them. The ease of getting somewhere safely and quickly as got to be a big draw.

So back to the original question, (waffle waffle馃槀) As for fitting a satnav and picking the right one for your bike, your asking the wrong person 馃槀馃槀
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I had a tomtom rider on my gen2 busa, it came with a RAM type ball mount and I just bought a RAM steering stem mount adaptor, it worked just fine, no vibration, could still see it over a tank bag and did thousands of miles on euro trips, could probably find a pic of the set up somewhere if needed
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned map?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I just use Google maps on my phone.                                                                                                                                                                             
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

In: Wakefield
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

I have a Satnav app on my phone called Navmii.

You can use it without using your phones mobile data, which is great.

Get it from the play store.

Another one I have, is an handy emergency app called What 3 Words.

It pin points to the exact spot where you are in a location. What it does is put you inside a grid on the map and each section as key words associated to the grid references square.

So you could be say in the corner of a very large car park and it can pin point which corner. Something that is used by the emergency services to help them get directly to the exact location. Because they use the app you can guide them to you in case of an emergency.

Hope I never have to use it though.
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

You said it yourself Yarg "old fashioned" and the lady didn't ask what was best between sat navs and maps, she asked for advice on sat navs.                                                                                                                                                                             
Tezza1958's Profile
Tezza1958

In: Scotter Common
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

Having carried lots of A - Zs around through the 70s 80s and 90s and used maps most of my life, I find the Sat Nav a valuable tool, I would not be without one, google maps is a form of Sat Nav.
I use a Garmin Zumo dedicated for bikes, and I have to say it can take you on some interesting routes.
I use a map aswell, but when you need to find a specific street, a map is not a lot of good to you on a bike, and I am mostly on a bike, unless working.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Well i use both and google maps and Navmii same as Yorkie Mick on my phone. Paper maps are useful emergency back up.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
You said it yourself Yarg "old fashioned" and the lady didn't ask what was best between sat navs and maps, she asked for advice on sat navs....

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Ram mount for satnav and phone mount with usb connector/charger built in for phone. Map goes under seat.                                                                                                                                                                             
Scoobydoo81's Profile
Scoobydoo81

In: Nottingham

I use Scenic on my phone. You can plan a route or use other peoples routes that they've saved. Sat Nav function is great The only let down is it doesn't tell you where speed cameras are.                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
56% Karma56% Karma 56% Karma56% Karma

Satnavs are the work of the devil. They will lead you from the chosen path to the wilderness where you will be nibbled to death by rabbits.
Don't say I didn't warn you.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

You,ve lost me!                                                                                                                                                                             
p贸g mo th贸in's Profile
p贸g mo th贸in

In: Thanet
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Google maps I have used for ages never had any issues                                                                                                                                                                             
Igytom's Profile
Igytom

Interesting, the one who posted the question shows as 'deleted member' but the thread still is flowing :)
But anyway, if someone else opens it with the same question in mind, I think that the best option would be Garmin Zumo 396 or XT, which will have full Europe including UK and Ireland maps with traffic and scenic routes designed for motorcycles. Plus multitude of other options.
Also, an indispensable are Google maps if you don't want to get lost and get to your destination on time. However, you need to plan a route with extra 'route markers' or sub-destinations if you want to take specific route and not the 'fastest' by Google. It works for me very well.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8910 seconds. There are 343 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption