So What's The Point?

14 Posts | Latest reply on 12/01/2020 10:25:03 by Matt04 | Go to original / last post
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

This is for members to ask a question and hopefully get an answer to something that makes no sense.

Over the last year or so I've notices more and more riders when filtering around London on motorways and dual carriageways, are riding with hazard light flashing.

Now this makes no sense at all. If (BIG IF) a driver looks in their mirrors they would only see the bike's headlight and not the hazard lights and only see the hazard lights once the bike is in front of them.
And if the rider is involved in a crash while using his/her hazard light in this way, it could and more than likely go against any insurance claim.

So what's the point?
TheSlasher's Profile
TheSlasher

In: chesterfield
30% Karma30% Karma 30% Karma30% Karma

No idea, in Germany you are inky allowed hazards when stationary and causing a hazard.... Not when moving. Don't know what the rules are here tbh but I wouldn't bother with hazards when filtering                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

It's much the same here,
You are only allow to use hazard light when you breakdown in a dangerous place and not while the vehicle is moving.                                                                                                                                                                             
TheSlasher's Profile
TheSlasher

In: chesterfield
30% Karma30% Karma 30% Karma30% Karma

Then it's obvious you shouldn't filter with hazards on....                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

That's why I'm asking if anyone can tell me why some people do it                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Ignorance of the laws /rules of the road?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Whilst in France in 2016 I travelled round the Paris Periferique (ring road) and the locals who all seemed to have a death wish from their style and speed of filtering almost without exception had their hazards on. I thought it most apt as in most cases they were a hazard to both themselves and others.
nellie's Profile
nellie

In: nottingham
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

Yep noticed a growing trend of turning right at a roundabout with left indicator on whats that about ...cars and bikes ....🤪 my old suzuki is to old to have hazards ....                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Two possible reasons I can see. 1. They think it makes them more visible, it doesn't but they think it does. 2. Monkey see monkey do, somebody else filtering has thier hazards on, so I'll use mine too.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt04's Profile
Matt04

In: Nottingham

Think Baloo got it right with (2) MONKEYs

As we all know it's the wrong side of the law! so like it has bin ask. If riding illegal hows your insurance ???                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

I thought much the same with number 2.

I don't think it would affect your insurance if you got stopped, if so you would get done for no insurance if caught speeding.
But it would affect any claim after a crash.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Fully comp you're covered even if it was you that did something wrong.

Third party there would need to be circumstances where the hazard lights being on caused the accident, so then you are to blame Can anyone think of any scenario that might apply?
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

What about vehicles that are being towed and are often seen with hazard lights on giving much the same signal as the breakdown truck actually doing the towing which often have orange flashing lights on their cab roofs. Is that legal or not if it is warning of a hazard even though moving?
Matt04's Profile
Matt04

In: Nottingham

Hazard lights ! Should only be used WHEN you are a !stationary hazard!
All other beacons/ strobe lights have length width and speed restrictions.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4850 seconds. There are 489 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption