Keeping warm...

71 Posts | Latest replyย on 25/08/2020 17:42:22 by Declan | Go to original / last post
Simon t3's Profile
Simon t3

In: Dymchurch,kent
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hello,have been talking to youngsters on motorcycles about keeping warm whilst out on our Bikes...
There is no need to feel cold,riding kit has moved on so much since l started riding (1977 ! ) l started with Leather Jeans and pure wool Jumpers,now we have Heated everything,all sorts of synthetic gear that really do keep you warm !
Please note that if you are feeling cold whilst Riding you need to invest in some good modern kit.
I think feeling so cold that it hurts is distracting,l know l found out the hard way.
Ride safe,simon
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

All very ture but if your a younger rider or on a low income you don't have the money to spend hundreds on heated kit. Base layers good boots and gloves                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Yes, decent warm gloves are a must and a good neck warmer/tube.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Good first post Simon.
No matter what I wear I always feel the cold, even in my new jacket.
However, my new gloves are a 100% improvement. Had to take them off to cool down my hands.

I agree with JP and yarg.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Heated grips don't just keep your hands warm..like holding your hands out infront of a fire the heat circulates via your bloodstream. Great in wet weather too..l picked up a new set for only ยฃ35 on eBay so not too pricey..and we'll worth considering if you ride all year..
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

I've never had heated grips on a bike,so can't comment on their undoubted efficiency..i put cheap and nasty "universal" plastic handguards from Ebay on bikes i intend to use through the winter,they keep wind chill blast off your hands very well,always buy the best boots and gloves i can afford,always buy my winter kit during summer,saves up to 50% out of season...best "base" layers i've got came from Aldi,tried stuff 10 times dearer,no real improvement..if anybody would like my old Richa jackets and leggings for the cost of postage,message me..i'm 5'10"-ish tall,31"inside leg..they're on the large side,lol,good for fitting extra layers underneath..enjoy the winter rides,stay shiny? side up..xx :)>
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

In: Wakefield
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

I remember back in the day, when it was cold and raining, putting Hillards supermarket carrier bags (all other supermarkets available) over our boots with elastic bands ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคญ
On cold and icy frosty days getting home and instantly warming your hands in front of the ๐Ÿ”ฅ The pain was immense.

My bro suffered from Raynaud's white finger. He tried various things like handguards, top notch gloves and heated grips, without solving his issue. Then he found out it was his body core and invested in a plug in warm vest/jacket. Problem solved ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

At the risk of sounding like an old geezer (which of course I am now) I remember back in 1975 stopping at traffic lights and putting my hands on the engine block to warm them up but my oh my has clothing moved on?

The secret is the same as winter climbing/walking in the mountains. Layers, and with modern warm air trapping clothing it sure is easier than back in the day.

The greatest risk is hypothermia. Once the body looses too much heat and the core starts to chill, the first thing that happens is loss of awareness and poor judgement and with biking that equates to a trip to A&E. I've witnessed this with fellow climbers a few years ago and cannot emphasise enough the risks involved.
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Hello GB, I used to warm my hands on the engine. I'd take off my outer gloves and put silk ones on so I could get the heat without burning myself. It worked a treat. I couldn't wear the silks under my gloves cos I couldn't bend my fingers.
I don't ride a bike anymore, so just a pillion, and my gloves keep my hands warm, you're right, it makes all the difference to concentration when we get cold.
rocker21's Profile
rocker21

In: aylesbury
10% Karma10% Karma 10% Karma10% Karma

Just bought some heated gloves with rechargeable batteries, so far they seem pretty good                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

Same here, and I've also got a heated waistcoat! I've found that heated gear doesn't wrap you up in a warm bubble - if you want that, use a car.
Icy jets of cold air will still find their way through, but the important thing is that your core temperature will keep up, making everything much more bearable.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hi Sandi. Because I'm an old hoarder I think I still have my silk gloves somewhere in one of my cupboards. LOL

What I forgot to mention was the wonderful bargains to be had on Gumtree (Other second hand sites available) where I've picked up some real bargains at a fraction of the shop price. Whether you're cash strapped or not it's always worth a look
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

I still wear a piss pot open Face lid.
I always remember and can't believe that when I used to ride without goggles, shades or scarf ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
I had to put my right throttle hand over my face to protect me from the rain. Was really painful, just like pins hitting your flesh, whilst trying to control and steer the bike and see where you were going at the same time.
Still wear open Face but now with proper eye and face protection.
Juvenile foolishness ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Erm... the thought of 'heated' clothing is enough to put me off, it's menopause time, I've got built in central heating, albeit un-programmable ๐Ÿ˜‚                                                                                                                                                                             
Vladamir's Profile
Vladamir

In: sheffield

If you're on budget Aldi base layers are as good as many more expensive ones. Dr. Bike heated grips have served me well over the years. Textiles are much warmer than leathers. Don't ride cold it will distract you from what's happening on the road                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
56% Karma56% Karma 56% Karma56% Karma

I find a Peugeot works best for a cold commute :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

Ditto Vladamir
I've always bought the push bike base layer clothing from Aldi ๐Ÿ‘                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Another vote for the Aldi motorcycle thermals ๐Ÿ‘
I've had the top for about 5 years and the bottoms about 4 years and they both still do their stuff ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sometimes I wear latex gloves inside my leather bike gloves and bread bags inside my boots... ๐Ÿ˜
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

Got a pair of warm tight fit linen gloves, that go under my riding gloves. I wear German Tank gloves from army surplus. Slate grey in colour and really authentic. Used to be able to get them on a regular basis, but no army shop seem to stock them now. Not even Johnson's army surplus down at Sturton/Hunslet in Leeds.
Bread bags in your boots ๐Ÿค” That's a new one on me Karey ๐Ÿ˜ Must work ๐Ÿค”
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Mick, did ya mam never put bread bags in your wellies and socks on your hands when you been playing in the snow? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜

I've got heated grips on my little bike and succumbed to putting a screen on.... definitely makes a difference.
I want a heated jacket/waistcoat though, as been said already, if your core is warm, you're generally warm.

There's always the hot water bottle down the front of your jacket! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6875 seconds. There are 284 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption