Just Curious

13 Posts | Latest replyย on 22/06/2019 08:32:01 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
46% Karma46% Karma 46% Karma46% Karma

I've just watched an episode of The Sweeney, 70s cop' drama, there was a Triumph Bonneville with a number plate to the FRONT of it. Was that standard in the 70s? I don't ever recall seeing a plate on the front of a bike.                                                                                                                                                                             
invalid characters's Profile
invalid characters

In: West Sussex
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Yep, I got on the road in 74 (KTM Comet Cross.) that had a 'plate on the front (N reg'.), but my first proper bike (RD250) didn't a year later.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Righto, thanks for that I C.
In 1975 I was 17 so that seems about right, I wouldn't have seen many plates to the front.                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

When the day came and we could get rid of our 'pedestrian slicers',they all ended up on the public bar wall in the Welsh Harp,London Road, Gloucester...stayed up there for years,last bike i had with a front plate was my old 1970 Triumph Tiger 100 (got removed)....some of us were even clever enough to work out that we now had an advantage over cars when it came to speed cameras,which were spreading like weeds everywhere...:)>
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Thanks for the info Jinx, very interesting ๐Ÿ‘                                                                                                                                                                             
Aden24's Profile
Aden24

In: Gloucester
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Still watch 'The Sweeney' - wonder if the drinking culture was that bad (bottle of scotch in the desk draw). Back to the subject - l'm far to young to remember front mud guard number plates ๐Ÿคฃ. My first BSA had a black & white front number plate, couldn't wait to take it off - wish l had kept the plate and the bike ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ถ
molli's Profile
molli

In: skegness
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

Ooh Jinx,i remember The Welsh Harp in Gloucester.Used to go there a lot when lived in Gloucester back in the 90s.Apparently,it's a shop now! Good memories though.....I had a BSA Bantam,back in the 70s,That had a bacon slicer..i mean front number plate.
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

The back bar used to be a very popular spot for greebos,spent too many hours in there playing 3 card brag and drinking rough cider or English Ale(Whitbread diabetic beer,enormously potent,lol)                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

I've just remembered that the front plate was side on, the one I saw in the Sweeney was across the front. That's what threw me. Can't say I've ever heard the expression bacon slicer for plate.

Molli my first bike was a Bantam. Had part of a washing up bottle for an air filter ๐Ÿคฃ
Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

Haven't heard the term greebo used for decades.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Me neither 66, or greaser. Reminds me of pubs with signs on the door 'No bikers'

----------------------------------------------------

Quote: double six
Haven't heard the term greebo used for decades.

Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

Never had signs on the doors from my neck of the woods Sandi but greebs, greasers and bikers knew where the best boozers were and stuck to them.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

66, my neck of the woods in the 70s was Portsmouth in Hampshire. Nearly every pub had the sign on their door, or so it seemed. They stated 'bikers' because they assumed all bike riders were Hell's Angels. HA, at that time, were causing a lot of trouble.
My local was 8 miles away, at a bikers / rock n roll pub. No sign on the door ๐Ÿ˜

----------------------------------------------------

Quote: double six
Never had signs on the doors from my neck of the woods Sandi but greebs, greasers and bikers knew where the best boozers were and stuck to them.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4414 seconds. There are 396 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption