NEW: PM notification of new local members

47 Posts | Latest reply on 28/12/2018 13:49:36 by jonnie2859 | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

NoviceBikerChick - welcome to the website!

Ok guys, I fixed it for you. You can now specify how many miles radius to be notified about new members....
https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/myaccount/edit-account.asp

This is linked to in the notifications also.

I've also added the DISTANCE to the notification so you know approximately how far away the new member is.

It's limited to the NEAREST 200 members to the newly joining member.

Folks who haven't logged in within the past 1 year will never get a notification.

And, lastly, I merged the 2 forum topics as it was likely going to cause confusion.

You will see also an option in the edit account page for event notifications. Although you can set this already, it's not yet working. It's next on my list but I've put the option there already anyhow
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
54% Karma54% Karma 54% Karma54% Karma

Hi Matt, thanks for putting an off button and the ability to change distance. However, I'm getting earache from Stuie. as he can't amend things as once he puts his password in to confirm changes he gets a message saying "username Stuie. contains invalid characters" n kicks him out!

Any help appreciated, in order to save my ear 'oles 😉
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Not that keen sorry. Problem I'm having as I'm unable to change my settings.                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

Hi Stuie
Please can you send me your password in a private message? Then I'll try to login as you and see the error for myself. Hopefully through trial and error in the code I'll be able to fix it. It might be something to do with the full-stop at the end of your username, I don't know
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

I've already got the hump with this. 4 in three days.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

You're in London. Folks in Scotland won't have received any lol

Hence you can now set the distance via the account settings page. Everyone's preference will be different                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

Still on the fence .....not sure why its necessary as it already comes up in notifications ......                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

I only read my emails every couple of weeks so no use to me, the easiest way to navigate round the site and find anything is to go onto notifications so all newbies come up there. The only downside to it is that it is about 2hrs behind real time                                                                                                                                                                             
555byker's Profile
555byker

In: Ormskirk Lancash
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

The third new member email from matt, the link does not work !?!
The first two did but no response from the new members !?!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Hey 555
The links should work just fine. I just checked the ones you received and they work fine for me.
Only reason they wouldn't work is if 1) You have a popup blocker enabled or 2) The person you're being notified about has already deleted his/her account
Matt's Profile
Matt

Little update – I’ve changed the code to take account of your “Seeking” preference in your account, which you can edit here:
https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/myaccount/edit-account.asp

So if you specifically say you’re only interested in meeting a particular gender, then you should no longer get notifications of new members who don't meet your preference.
essexmick's Profile
essexmick

In: rawreth
10% Karma10% Karma 10% Karma10% Karma

Sounds good                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I think it's a great idea as I am a new member, and just to say I'm not just on here for a quick shag!!! Lol :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Update: I've hard-coded a maximum of ONE notification per member per day. So you will not get 10 notification if 10 new members sign up locally to you. This will notifications will be spread around the people who live locally rather than all going to the same folks
555byker's Profile
555byker

In: Ormskirk Lancash
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

I’ll second that Miss Catkins 👍                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Ok I'll fix that. Will be a bit of work though. Right now it's triggered when someone creates a profile before even filling it in. I'll need to schedule a job to calculate when the profile is relatively complete before sending a notification                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

FIXED!
Now there's a script running every 30 minutes. It will find any new member which meets certain criteria then trigger the notifications for local members.

Criteria....
Account = enabled
Profile = enabled
Notifications not previously sent out
Has at the minimum a default main profile pic
Has at least the basics filled out on his/her profile

Only then will it trigger notifications.

It will check that notification recipients are within their preferred range of the new member, have not received any notification for new member within the past 24 hours, that you have logged in within the past year and that the gender matches your account preference.

Please let me know if you find it is or isn't working well for you
Na5ty's Profile
Na5ty

In: Romford

I’m fine with the notifications as it’s not like I’m getting them every hour.

I would suggest changing the name from bikermatch though as when I joined I did think it was a dating site. Took me a few days to realise it was nothing of the sort so it might give new members the wrong impression.
Matt's Profile
Matt

Hey mate
Welcome to the site!
I have considered it in the past... but BM did start out as a dating site and then expanded in various directions.
Now it's about just bringing bikers together, for whatever.
I'm even thinking of adding an "AirBnB" style section where people can rent out their bikes for people travelling around. Apparently it's working in America.
I wouldn't know what else to call the site really
Na5ty's Profile
Na5ty

In: Romford

That’s quite a good little idea mate. I would jump on that as quick as you can.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 356 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption