NEW: PM notification of new local members

47 Posts | Latest reply on 28/12/2018 13:49:36 by jonnie2859 | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Hi guys

I'm wondering what you think about having an option to receive a Private Message each time someone joins in who lives within 10 miles of you. Also, a new PM each time someone posts a new event into the calendar within 50 miles of you.

In an effort to get the events busy this summer as well as get new members feeling welcome

What you think?

Of course with the option to turn off the notifications

Matt
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Sounds good to me 👍                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

As long as we can turn them off...
And while you're at it, can you turn off the message that goes with nods?                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
89% Karma89% Karma 89% Karma89% Karma

To be honest it wouldn't bother me but how would a female feel if she joined a site and got a shed load of computer generated PMs on day 1. I recon she will just think its just another dating site full of 1 night stands. That is not what we are and I don't think the site should go down that route. Yes there are a lot of them on here just after a shag but I don't think they need any more help in the finding there next victim.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That's a fair point jp !                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

JP, it will be about 2 messages per week abotu new members. Maybe 1 or 2 per month for new events. I don't plan on flooding people :-D                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

I totally agree with JP on this one. Although the site is moving in that direction at the moment, from what I am being led to believe.

However, if it's not gonna open the flood gates to lots of endless junk mail then it's a good idea.

I do like the option to turn it off, if it suits.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Great idea!                                                                                                                                                                             
NotPhilMitchell's Profile
NotPhilMitchell

In: Coventry

I like the idea too, Matt, with the options as you suggested. I'm particularly keen on the notification of receiving a PM when events within a 50 mile radius (or maybe 75?) come up as that was my main attraction to the site. I'm still trying to figure out how to "group contact" those flagged as going to an event as I think it would be nice to meet up with fellow members just to say "Hi". If anyone knows how, please say.
JP's Profile
JP

If its just a BM message that has a list of local events that's ok. But as for new members all we need do is look in the search box under new members put in settings and its there. Are you not making work for yourself when there is other stuff that still needs sorting out.
Matt's Profile
Matt

NotPhil... Only admins or the event creator can contact all guests. Otherwise people will be hounded by spam.

JP, you probably have 1 person per month joining who lives in your postcode area. Maybe 6-10 per month in the surrounding postcodes. So a new PM along the lines of "Hi JP. This is an automated mail to let you know that John Smith joined the site and lives near you. How about sending him/her a welcome message?"

The idea is to make BM a successful social website, is it not? And every little change that makes it more social is a win for everyone. It's also nice if new members don't feel like the site is unused and stops the feedback I get along the lines of "I've been a member for over a month and not one person has sent me a message!"
JP's Profile
JP

Go for it then Matt I don't have a problem with the basic idea my main concern was in my 1st post which you have covered                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

For all new members creating a profile a notification will be sent to the nearest members.

I hope you will take the opportunity to send a welcome message to new local members and show them what a friendly bunch we are.

Thanks for all your help
Openspaces's Profile
Openspaces

In: Norfolk

Just my personal opinion but I don’t want this. Its just filling inbox with links that are already in the News Feed Notifications.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The quote button isn't working yet, but...
I think when this was proposed, it was promised it could be turned off (my preference too), but I just checked the 'settings' tab, and the option isn't there.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

You're right, whoops. I will work on making an option under settings for it. I'll also make a little link at the bottom of each notification to the settings page.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
46% Karma46% Karma 46% Karma46% Karma

Matt, where's the off button?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I've had two of these messages about new members and I think it's quite good idea so long as don't get more than a couple a week.....
Only orobl6for me us I click on the link and it doesn't open..... I would have to copy and paste......                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'm with Sandi, it needs an 'off' button ;)                                                                                                                                                                             
Novicebikerchick 's Profile
Novicebikerchick

In: Banbury
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

as a newbie looking for friends to ride with i think this is a fantastic idea :)                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7070 seconds. There are 970 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption