Would it be a good idea to make all motorists at least learn to ride a motorcycl

6 Posts | Latest reply on 16/01/2018 22:59:16 by nickscafe | Go to original / last post
New2Biking's Profile
New2Biking

In: Glossop
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Reading some of the posts on here about recent tragic accidents and road safety, I was wondering whether it ought to be mandatory for all new motorists (car drivers, lorry drivers) to at least be required to learn to ride a motorcycle. it would then at least add some weight to the Think Once, think Twice Think Bike campaign aimed at car drivers. I would even be in favour of encouraging car drivers and motorcyclists to have a go at driving an HGV. Having sat in the cab of a lorry many years ago that left a distinct impression on me. You don't realise just how high up you are. Anything that can help motorists of all types be safer on the roads has to be a good thing yes?
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Have always said this. Before anyone can pass their car test they should have to take motorbike/moped lessons, a few lessons in a hgv/bus type vehicle. Also should be limited by engine size and age like biking. I know I'm a better driver because I learnt to ride six years ago.
New2Biking's Profile
New2Biking

In: Glossop
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Agree about limiting engine size for new drivers. My first car after passing my driving test in a 1.4 Nissan Micra was a Renault Laguna RT Sport 1.8 with fuel injection and a spoiler on the back. It was pretty quick by comparison, could get me out of trouble but I also had to be very careful on the gas to begin with until i learnt how it handled. Engine size for cars should definitely be restricted in the same way bikes are. It's crazy that an 18 year old newly qualified driver could go out and buy a Porsche or Ferrari on their parent's credit card (assuming they had the budget) which is just as dangerous (arguably more so) as a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R in inexperienced hands.
nickscafe's Profile
nickscafe

In: Milton Keynes
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

I believe the standard rate for driving lessons is around £28 per hour....plus hazard perception, DSA exam costs, etc.

Have regular rants about bike training vs car lessons and how they fail to overlap in terms of awareness.
As I've said previously, the moment of truth was when bike regs restricted learners to 125cc.

Nobody objected strongly enough then, so the decline in m/cycle sales continues.
The cost of both licences now comes close to £2k

Which would parents / prospective learners prefer to spend money on?
University fees are probably a factor. Upwards of £20k at the start of a working career has a big influence on budgets.

I agree that car power output could be restricted, but it's becoming academic with electric vehicles. Nobody at the moment has got a clear policy together on how to instruct on hybrid / electric vehicles....but they've been on UK roads for the best part of a decade.

The m/cycle market has encouraged sales for fun and leisure at the older and richer middle classes, rather than the practical benefits of reducing congestion.
But then, who wants to ride in the winter?

Too little too late, me fears.

jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

A categorical YES...judging by the appaling current standard of car driving I witness on a daily basis...or only allow them to drive a car governed to 40 mph for the first year..level playing field...x                                                                                                                                                                             
nickscafe's Profile
nickscafe

In: Milton Keynes
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

I thought 40mph was the national limit these days?
I'm surrounded by a grid road system where single carriageways are 60mph by default - the dualled roads at 70mph.

To find someone travelling above 45mph is a novelty...including the taxis :)

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2344 seconds. There are 324 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption