Motorcycle Clothing (The wearing Of)

38 Posts | Latest reply on 16/08/2012 22:58:31 by zzrbabe42 | Go to original / last post
zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

In: furry tree rat h
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

as ive said before all the protective clothing in the world will not stop your neck snapping if its your turn to go or to have an accident then thems the breaks.its our choice to risk our lives everyday by getting out of bed.i think they are idiots i wear jacket and jeans sometimes go without gloves but no more than a half mile journey.why oh why can people just live and let live you will never change people and what they want to do thats what makes us all individuals.how many times will this come up probably every day for ever                                                                                                                                                                               
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

Oh God! after a spell of good weather, the 'debate' about protective clothing kicks off again. No - I wouldn't ride in shorts and T-shirt sans gloves. Yes - the people who do so are foolish. And yes - there should be more education. However, constantly going on about it in various forums will eventually bring it to the attention of an opportunist MP wanting to make a name for himself. We already have too many laws protecting us from ourselves and we don't need any more. So please drop it and don't start a similar thread next year either.
zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

here here finally sense prevails                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

yep not much point wasting your breath trying to tell others what they should/shouldnt be doing... chances are that they are either too stupid to understand the consequences or alternatively have weighed up the risks and made a descision based on that... either way they are unlikely to be swayed by a stranger ranting and raving at them... Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough

Education rather than legislation is the way to go, but it will never happen. There will always be people who choose to ride in shorts, flipflops, trainers, t shirts, etc. Even at 30 mph on a moped if you come off the skin and flesh will be shredded to the bone and someone has to pick that person up. I've worked in a casualty department and had the unfortunnate task of seeing first hand what it looks like when a rider comes off with bare skin. Believe me, it isn't pretty. My reasoning doesn't have a logical conclusion of banning bikes at all, and yes there are serious injuries even with appropriate clothing, but even slow speed accidents with inappropriate attire can become serious. I accept it's personal choice, but all those who ride with more flesh exposed than covered should spend a few hours in an A&E department. Photos won't have any effect, but the real thing probably would.

old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

Getting the bill for avoidable skin grafts etc may get the message through..                                                                                                                                                                                 
sharla's Profile
sharla

In: Milton Keynes

Yep, it's down to personal choice.  For god's sake we've got enough interference and stupid laws in our lives.   However...   Some people are just too dim to realise the consequences when they come off their bikes with no protection on - and they will come off at some point, we all do.  So I'm in agreement with the 'education not legislation' bunch.  Just watch the look on peoples faces when you suggest to them that you tie them to the back of your car and just drive at 15 mph down the road for a couple of hundred yards or so.   Or the other one, "weeeell, I'm only popping down the shops" - my reply to that "oh, so the tarmac near your house is softer than anywhere else is it?"   It's down to personal choice - just helps if people really know what the choices they make actually mean to them (the families who'll be visiting them, looking after them; the cost to the NHS, DWP; the cost to their own futures, present health etc.  What a shame to spend the summer in hospital instead of on your bike...).                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Just had an off at 25mph. Full leathers, boots and gloves. Most importantly though, was wearing my knox back protector which saved the spine when I slid into the kerb. The shoulder and ankle will take about three months though!                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

i rest my case,m'lud....he had a choice .....                                                                                                                                                                             
zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

yes and i rest mine he was wearing full leathers etc and is still hurt!!! we ride we risk everyday thems the breaks.or do we all want to live in a nanny state where all choices are made for us?? i certainly do not thank you very much!!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Roughie's Profile
Roughie

In: Surrey
28% Karma28% Karma 28% Karma28% Karma

It does irritate me when I see people not wearing protective clothing, but hey it’s their body and their skin.

I do think they should foot the bill for the avoidable tho and maybe education is the way to go

Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

And we should bill smokers, people who have a poor diet, those who don't exercise, walkers who get lost when the weather deteriorates and need rescuing, amateur sailors who call out the lifeboat, athletes who strain themselves, mountaineers who get hurt,  old people who walk about and fall over, track day crash victims... Just to be consistent. Or we could stop being so stupid and let this nonsense drop.
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Cataraptor   Healthy debate is the sign of a civilized society Approve   Not all "opinions" are nonsense Approve   Your "opinion" is no more nor less important or valid than anyone elses Wink   Free speech Thumbs Up   One each LOL                                                                                                                                                                                 
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

Going out for a ride now on the trike. No lid, tshirt and leather waistcoat, jeans and a pair of boots. I'm old enough and ugly enough to know the risks and I choose to accept them.                                                                                                                                                                               
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

Emzed, indeed healthy debate is an indicaator of a civilised society but this debate - a hoary annual, going in circles  and calling for sanctions against the right to choose -  is anything but. Whilst I accept that all opions are valid being a turkey calling for Christmas to be brought forward is not. I have kept my peace with previous incarnations of this 'debate' now I have said my piece and warned of the danger of continuing. For your information, I'm holidaying in Crete at present and no one here is riding a bike with full leathers including the police. It's too hot!
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

Cat I consider it grossly unfair that you should be posting from such a sunny location. I've just got in and it's pi$$ing it down here.

The youtube vid is an Australian bike safty film and is appropriate for this topic. Smile 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH34xzIdY58&feature=share
baza 2458's Profile
baza 2458

In: brighton

Are we a load of sad people with nothing else to talk about im sure most of us that ride do it to be free it up to every rider to decide his own destiny on how he rides how he dresses even wot gender he is so wot rightes have any one of us have to judge

zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

my thought exactly baz live and let live i sayThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5840 seconds. There are 304 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption