MAG Protests...What's your view?

68 Posts | Latest reply on 01/07/2012 17:42:50 by rockchickeelicious | Go to original / last post
kookydeedee's Profile
kookydeedee

In: Boston
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Is anyone forwarding these views to www.mag-uk.org.
20 years ago MAG members were having the same debates, I know I was there. 
As with all politics if you don't vote how can you possibly have a right to a point of view.
Do I ride a bike anymore? No Circumstances.
Did I attend the demonstration? No Circumstances.
OK I didn't vote with my feet but I supported the demo in my own way. I traveled from Bedford to Derby and back to Boston, which took 7 hours, and saw maybe half dozen stray bikes. We are a dying breed, even as pillions, lets not die fighting with each other, vote in your own way but for sake of two wheels fight for your rights!

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Rockchicky,   I repeat   Does Bikermatch support the protest?   This is Matt's call.   I only asked the question.   And I said 'ask' not 'tell'.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

XK how can bikermatch surport the protest without a vote from every member paying or not. if Matt was to say he surported MAG it would only be Matt

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Matt owns the site, and so is entitled to call the tune.   However, his pm/email would be a request, not an order.                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious's Profile
rockchickeelicious

In: Newcastle

And when I came out of the Doctors at 5.30pm my blood pressure was just purrrrrrrrrrrfect..
  XK.. no honey he can't actually... That's like him sending a PM saying..   "hey guys my mate wants a boob job.. I fully support her in this but she's skint.. I should like you to send me a £1"   What he can and does do is give us Forums and a Newsletter to spread the news...                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The ball's in Matt's court...                                                                                                                                                                             
centurion's Profile
centurion

In: Catterick Garris

Yeah, thats not quite the same thing Anne, Matts mates boob job would be of no interest or benifit to the rest of us (well, ok, no doubt XK would want to inspect the finished articals)  but  the continuation of our motorcycling lifestyle is. Not all members use the forums but yeah, maybe trying to drum up some support in the newsletter is the way to go, as XK says, not by attemting to give any orders, just bringing the issues to more peoples attention and stressing their importance to those 'hobby motorcyclists' (and I make NO apologies for using that term) out there that still don't seem to get it
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

Theres nothing to stop anybody submitting something to Sandi for her to include it in the newsletter.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to spend their time doing what they choose.

But apathy is rife in this country; a diabolically significant amount of the populace don't even vote for "our" politicians! Still those very same apathetic folk will moan that it's not worth voting "they're all the same" or that their vote doesn't count etc etc.

Fine that's their opinion and I respect that.

Personally I prefer to at least do something and know that even if my actions do not succeed at least I tried to do something.

As Edmund Burke said: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."                                                                                                                                                                               
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

To be honest I wasn't aware of the protest happening even!

Last time they did it I posted it to the BikerMatch facebook page.  It also goes into the events calendar, news forum and newsletter.

That's enough coverage as far as I'm concerned and a PM to all members would be unnecessary.  There's a number of people who complain at just getting a PM about our local BM events in their neighbourhood.                                                                                                                                                                             
thehairyone's Profile
thehairyone

In: Boston

I don't know how many people went on the protest ride through out the country, I should guess a few thousand.

If a few thousand football fans held a protest I believe it would get more press coverage than the MAG ride did (not that difficult).

Was there a press boycott? did the government restrict reporting?

Sunday Bike protests seem to be a bit of a waste of time in my opinion (I enjoyed the ride though).

I hope the next one is on a week day, I will attend that as I have the previous ones, as I believe that we need to bring a stop to the EU some how.
Sweeny Todd's Profile
Sweeny Todd

In: Leicester

I did the MAG run, nice day, nice weather, nice ride, met some BM members I hadnt met before so all was good.                                                                                                                                                                             
suzyamki's Profile
suzyamki

In: Wakefield

apathy is rife in this country;     Too right it is.   I'd protest for bikers rights whatever day of the week it is because fight is what we need to do to protect our rights to ride without it being dictated to us what we are allowed to do to our bikes                                                                                                                                                                              
lawnmower's Profile
lawnmower

In: Nirvana
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

Hmmm.   MAG Protests - my view?

Well at risk of sticking my head above the parapet and watching it get shot at (which I have to say is something I have experience of because I've got a big gob when I feel strongly about an issue) ...... I chose not to go to a MAG rideout, but ooooh noooo - to go to Barmouth instead.

The case for the defence, your honour.  Simple.   I didn't know anybody going on a MAG ride, and don't really like turning up somewhere where I don't know anyone.

I did send a letter off to my euro mps about something technical and bureaucratic that I didn't really understand.  Durrgh - bit thick am ya?  And I got a reply that I equally didn't understand.

So deepest apologies if my choice to ride to Barmouth on a Sunday has offended you all.

And a big thanks to the organisers of the rideout to Barmouth because it was a fantastic day.

And if anybody who saw 15 bikes together on Sunday knew about the protest ride by MAG, they may well have assumed we were protesting anyway.

And I will still keep lobbying and actively campaigning whenever I get an opportunity to stick up for the rights of bikers - and any other group of people that society decides to bully because they pre judge them based on ignorance and hatred.   I hate bullies.   And control freaks!

Line up your weapons.   Point and shoot.
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Lawnmower dont worry they're all crap shots                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Matt is in too much pain to be worrying about anything other than his pain at the moment, so please give him a break eh? XK    Jackie, I've not been looking after the newsletter for a long time, Matt sees to that on his own. He still needs folk to contribute bike news articles tho. So keep them coming.   As for the demos/protest rides if I could get a pilly I'd go, but I can't join MAG as I can't afford the fees.                                                                                                                                                                              
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

You are probably not aware that Moonstone is now the local MAG Rep for Hemel Hempstead so naturally, we and the members of the group who turned up supported the demo ride. In spite of some occasionally iffy weather, it was an enjoyable day out with a good turnout at the Brampton Hut Services where the A1 crosses the A14. 

It is essential to protest and send a message to the European Parliament and the less democratic institutions. Negotiation and demos are having an effect with the European Parliament's session where Type Approval is to be debated being progressively put back and concessions being negotiated. It's a shame demonstrations on this scale hadn't been organised when the 3rd EC Driving Licence was being processed so from January next year we are going to have to live with it. 

As for the timing, it's not when the Government say we can hold the demo - they're on our side on this one. It was originally set to coincide with the European Parliament debating the issue which has now been deferred until October when it was too late to change the date. Also since most people still work, in spite of the Government's best efforts, you wouldn't get the same turnout as on a Sunday. I am glad to have taken part and urge BM members to join in with the next one - whenever that will be.                                                                                                                                                                               
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

Good post Cat and were have you two been hiding we have't seen you for some time know                                                                                                                                                                             
boxercup's Profile
boxercup

In: Manchester

I am guilty of not turning out on this protest. I did not know that there were Regional Protest and had only known about the South Wales Protest, I did not fancy such a long Journey from Manchester because of health reasons.
I can't recall seeing anything advertised in the Motorcycle News regarding this. 
Maybe MAG should be handing out leaflets at the various bike meets and race meetings up and down the country.
I can remember a couple of years ago the Take back North Wales protest, and what a massive turn out of Motorcyclist from all corners of our Island.                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Politicians are basically self interested individuals , whos only interest is in re-election. They have little knowledge of the real world. In order to get re-elected , they have to ''speak out'' passionately about any subject that offends the least amount of voters. Right or wrong doesn't come in to it. Consequently , these parasites will jump on any 'bandwagon' going past .
Because these leaders of our country don't possess the intelligence to form true and honest opinions about anything. It lays them open to ''bad press'' jitters. They don't want their miserable lack of intellect to become commen knowledge. So , in conclusion , continual protests that end in 'bad press ' do have an effect .
So please , all you 'magsters' keep up the good work .
Sadly , like so many, I can't be arsed ... Dusty

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6875 seconds. There are 411 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption