Is Hi Vis a good idea?

78 Posts | Latest reply on 10/06/2012 16:52:29 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

In: benfleet essex
35% Karma35% Karma 35% Karma35% Karma

im in favour of any  visual  aids  to  help  prevent  an accident .. some  interesting views have been raised in this  discussion. alot of ppl have said  im not sure if its made a difference ? there are plenty of seriously injured bikers  wondering... if they  had been wearing  hi  vis  wheather or not  that  accident would  have happened ?   personally  im lit  up  like  a christmas tree during  winter months with different colour  reflectors.                                                                                                                                                                               
ayjay's Profile
ayjay

In: LOUTH
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Not bike related really but when i used to work for a lagre company it was their policy that all workers wear hi viz jackets,
i got a right ole rollicking once from a manager that was looking out of his top office window and saw me walking across the works yard, he wasnt to pleased when i said, no not me!any way i thought you wasnt able to see anyone without the high viz on! well thats why you make us wear the fkin stuff!                                                                                                                                                                             
Alice2's Profile
Alice2

In: York
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Living close to Squires, I'm noticing a definite increase in hi-vis wearers this year. Anyone else experiencing the same??

davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Thanks for the additional feedback folks.   After the last two pages of posts the summary has changed approximately as follows:-   So far people who wear HiVis of some sort around 33% People who agree with it are around 33%   Some people have not actually said either way.   There are some interesting comments regarding the use of lights.   Keep them coming folks Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Ian60's Profile
Ian60

In: Leeds

I ride a bright yellow bike and wear yellow leathers, if they can't see them then no amount of Hi Viz is going to help, so no I don't Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

I seem to remember posting on this subject at length before..... So for the benefit of those who weren't here then......   I have worn "Hi Viz" before, for work (on site) and for work on the road as instructor Obviously when 6 to 8 bikes with riders wearing Hi Viz are on the road they can and DO make an impression on other motorists around them (if only for the disruption caused to normal traffic flow) Now bear in mind that this was in the 80's 1...there were fewer cars/traffic than now 2...quite a few of those who were learning to ride/drive then are now in their 40's & 50's ! 3....I lost count of the "ex" pupils who came to me afterwards and said that.... "riding a bike has made me a better car driver" "I am so much more AWARE of road/weather conditions now, when I'm in a car"   IMHO   There are non so blind as those who WON'T see !   Some time ago (and don't quote me on this as it's not verbatim) Top Gear & the AA did "random" tests on visitors to the Motor Show A large proportion of those who were tested FAILED the standard Ministry eyesight test ! (I heard it was something around 70% !!) When you consider that attendees at a Motor show are quite likely to be drivers, it is no wonder that SMIDSY's are all too common these days ? I cannot count the number of times I have proposed... 1... ALL drivers should be compelled to ride 2 wheels for at least 2 years before starting car driving 2... All concious drivers involved in RTA's should be made to take an eyesight test "at the scene" and as they were at the time (ie. if not not wearing corrective lenses) and prosecuted automatically for dangerous driving if they fail when tested without corrective aids ! VANITY is all too common place and far more people require vision correction AFTER they have passed their test than you can imagine, yet there is no further requirement to prove a satisfactory standard of vision !   I don't ride with lights ON unless I consider road/weather conditions to be bad enough to warrant it As mentioned earlier in the thread, a "bouncing light" can be mis-construed by an inept and badly trained car driver as a signal to ADVANCE (I know it is contrary to the highway code, but too many still can't or won't grasp it) The keys to survival on todays roads are :  1... eternal vigilance 2... treat every OTHER road user as a potential assassin 3...good road positioning If I am following a vehicle I position myself for MAXIMUM visibility to it's driver ... ie  I can see their face in at least 1 of their mirrors. If after a "reasonable distance" they have not acknowledged my presence, then 60 watts of Halogen on the retina usually wakes them up ! You don't have to be aggressive with such tactics and don't do it as they are "looking" in their mirror as this could cause temporary blindness which could be dangerous to them, other drivers and more importantly YOU, if they brake suddenly due to a temporary loss of sight !   Well that's my 2 pennorth for what it's worth   If only 1 person takes head of "some" of what I've said, then it has been worth posting Ride safe Ride free   Em Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
suzyamki's Profile
suzyamki

In: Wakefield

Really cool hi vis vests by Tinwolf. A Leeds lad who has been making them for some time now. You can design your own too as I did. Check out his web page. Sorry don't know how to put the link on. Maybe Sandi can help! Ive had one for 4 years. And if you check out my pics on my profile from a few years back I think you can see how it glows in the dark when lights are on it
buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

nice  one  emzed.. id like to  back  up  on your  point about  about  car drivers  admitting  there  now  better drivers  because  they have now  riden a bike .  ive also  heard  that  more times  i can  remember . as a motorcycle  instructor aswell  i allways  here  from new  start  riders that  are  also  car drivers :- "i  cant  believe how many  people  are now  learning to  ride  bikes  the  same time as  me ! im  seeing  loads  of  learners  on the  roads now .....   my  well  rehearsed reply  " urm nope  they  have  allways  been there , its  just  youve  never seen them  " .   the  law has now  recently changed   reguarding  eyesight .  check  out  http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/UKDSA-428980                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

http://www.tinwolf.co.uk/

suzyamki's Profile
suzyamki

In: Wakefield

Thanks Squiddy. Net has never been my forte !                                                                                                                                                                             
buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

like  the  tin wolf stuff . am planning  on re newing  our  training  school tabards.. looks  modern  and  exciting ...                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

RE your earlier post buzz ... It still makes no mention of a mandatory re-test after intial driving/riding test ! As all new digital photo licences are "time limited" (renewable after 10 years) I would have thought that would be an ideal time to enforce a retest of the eyesight ? IMO                                                                                                                                                                             
daveg208's Profile
daveg208

In: Sandy

Hi Vis - hmmm, I've ridden with and without, I've not noticed any difference at all. As has been mentioned above, car drivers don't actually look most of the time. Lets face it - if they pull out in front of a 44 ton truck - does anyone really think a Hi Vis vest will make them pause ?

No - the only safety measure that works is to ride as a paranoid. I don't mean timid or hesitant, but assume that every vehicle that CAN do something stupid, WILL do something stupid, and don't be in a position where they can hurt you when they do. 

At the end of the day guys and gals - it's us that get hurt, not the box steerers. 
And it's up to us to avoid it, the government has no idea and MAG and BMF, although well meaning, are toothless in the face of overwhelming indifference, from the bike community as well as the rest.

I've found out the hard way - just because you have an 80 watt light, you are wearing a hi vis, riding under the speed limit, it's your right of way, and the idiot is looking directly at you - does not mean that he will not pull out and block the road 10 yards in front of you when they have nowhere to go. That one hurt, but taught me a valuable lesson.

Dave

buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

glad  you  lived  to  tell  the  tale  dave                                                                                                                                                                               
daveg208's Profile
daveg208

In: Sandy

Got away quite lightly, coupla broken ribs and a dislocated collar bone.
Also proved that you can stoppie a GSX1400 ! Which was probably what saved me from serious damage, at 45 degrees my legs cleared the bars when I dived over the bonnet. That was about 8 or 9 years ago, and the last "accident" I've had.                                                                                                                                                                             
northlondon58's Profile
northlondon58

In: Aldershot

Hi vis great in use some times , as i drive in the london area, & outside on the motorways, & have door mounted mirrors on my van ,& have found that when motorcycles are in my view, its the brightness that some times i just about see , as they pass in traffic , or on dual carraige ways ,but as im motorcyclist some 35 years,in practise & theory
position on the road , lane , is vital, and knowing by antisapating & reading the road traffic , & hazards, is best practise to keep in mind .So radar on as soon as you get astride your motorccycle ............Thumbs Up

davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Since starting this thread, I have been making personal observations while out on the bike or in my van. It occurs to me that in terms of day-glow, out of the yellow or red, the red is noticed first. However it needs to be clean and new. Once the colours get dirty or fade the effect drops off considerably. It's the same with reflective number plates.   No conclusions yet.   I keep on observingGeek                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Hi-vis can't possibly be less safe can it? Also, in fashion terms, I've always thought that a hi-vis goes really well with a huge sunburned beerbelly, pencil in the ear and fag hanging out of the mouth. ;)                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6641 seconds. There are 361 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption