Is Hi Vis a good idea?

78 Posts | Latest reply on 10/06/2012 16:52:29 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
46% Karma46% Karma 46% Karma46% Karma

ROFLMHO @ ...thank God the twat didnt pull out and it would have been better if his/her dad had   I like the expression too to see they need to look                                                                                                                                                                              
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

I use a full flouro jacket over me touring one, it isn't armoured, but it has the reflective stripes. I get a new one every year out of Screw-fix, and use last years grubby one for work. Not sure if its the jacket, or my ST13 been marked up, but since I started using both together, all the tin box pilots seem to just behave when around me.    
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

when seatbelts were made compulsory , the accident rate actually shot up . The 'powers that be' put it down to , drivers feeling a false sense of security .
It's the people that don't realy pay attention to what they're doing , that will kill you . Not what you wear.. ..
kcsdata's Profile
kcsdata

In: Knutsford
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

I wear a partially Hi-Viz textile jacket for commuting into Manchester daily. It also has reflective strips. I don't know if it does any good, but it can't do any harm, and as JP said, if anything goes wrong, at least you have a stronger case.   And with a big BMW tourer, and a Hi-Viz jacket on top, you would be surprised how many car drivers pull over on the motorway. I suspect even more would if I had a white helmet Smile   John                                                                                                                                                                             
Zedbiker's Profile
Zedbiker

In: South Molton
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

There is a theory that says if car drivers had a spike poking out of the steering wheel instead of an airbag it would make them more careful. Ermm                                                                                                                                                                             
Riggy66's Profile
Riggy66

In: Huddersfield

Zedbiker - it would make me more careful!

Things are too safe - to compensate for the numpties who have known nothing more dangerous than being asked to clear the felt-tip off a class-room white-board all their lives... Some people have never fallen out of a tree and found out it really hurts (!) you know?

It is still MY responsibility to make myself as visible - or try to compensate for the blind idiots in four wheels - as possible. So a vis-belt when it's worst weather and wandering across the traffic lane at all other times. Just to let them see my headlight move and let them know that two wheels does NOT equal a gap in the traffic when they are joining from the left.                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Still need some more feedback please folks.   So far people who wear HiVis of some sort are a little over 50%   People who agree with it are around 50%   Some people have not actually said either way.                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

IMHO It works more to make the rider feel safe than it does to help being seen by other road users.
Yes It all has some effect but from the front, headlights seem to work far more effectively. which is where been seen early pays off.  Slower riders where vehicles may be approaching fast from behind on poorly lit bikes it may make a difference. The choice is always yours. If it makes you happy then wear it. I choose not to use it. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

bluesbiker I agree with you regarding visibility from behind. It is one of my biggest fears particularly when on dual carriageways / motorways in poor conditions.                                                                                                                                                                              
Zedbiker's Profile
Zedbiker

I am not a fan of them but when it comes down to self preservation a rider at night wearing hiVis is more likely to be seen (picked up in the headlights) especially from the side where headlights and taillights are not so visible. 

bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

I'm trying to think of a situation where i am side on to a bike prosumably at a junction where i can't see his headlight or tail light at night and have time to react to anything. Reflective tape may work at night but red or yellow hi-vis doesn't show up that well at all. IMOGeek                                                                                                                                                                              
Zedbiker's Profile
Zedbiker

I agree reflective tape definitely shows up better than the yellow hiVis at night but the 2 tend to go together. I can't comment on red I can't say I have seen any. Shocked                                                                                                                                                                             
kcsdata's Profile
kcsdata

In: Knutsford
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

I agree with you ZedBiker.   I bought mine last November to Ride in and out of Manchester in the Dark on the basis that anything that makes you easier to spot has got to be good - and it has reflective patches on it as well.   The fact that it is a superb jacket that has kept me warm AND dry both to and from work and also on rideouts was just a bonus. Didn't leak at all last Monday riding from Bedford to Knutsford via Rutland Water (and it was wet!!)   John                                                                                                                                                                             
HippyRockChick's Profile
HippyRockChick

In: Manchester

Errr, what about a PINK hi vis vest?? would that get me noticed??? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ICON-VEST-CORSET-MS-PINK-M-L-...591wt_1156

Zedbiker's Profile
Zedbiker

Probably would HippyRockChick. Thumbs Up I reckon it would turn more heads if I wore one though. LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

More likely to cause an accident with people rubbernecking LOL Nice though!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

you need a coloured flashing light on top of your crash helmet seriously with todays technology they must be able to make something low and bright. and flashing lights round the headlamp and tail lamp. you see something moving before something just sat there. you always see plods flashing lights. who wanted to wear spacemen helmets when they first came out.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

And it still wont work- not after 40 yrs of biking experience but we can try eh.  It stinks but sorry to say the onus is on us- car tests shouldnt be passed till THEY realise that We do exist. !!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Gibson's Profile
Gibson

In: Sutton

I don't really think hi viz works enough to make it compulsory, the truth is there are just too many distractions for car drivers now that a small fast moving object like a bike is not enough to register with them, i can honestly say that i don't pay any more attention to a bright yellow car than i would a black car, if i was looking properly and not distracted then i would see both cars equally and it's no different for bikes.
If you were to make a list of all the things that distract car drivers then it's easy to see why they miss the narrow profile of oncoming bikers, i also think it's a bit of a joke that some people in the government think that adding a couple of questions about bikes in the car theory test will make any real impact on that person seeing a biker once they have their licence.

I have one of the yellow think bike stickers on the back of my van in the hope it will at least jog their memory for the few minutes they are following me, maybe we need more big yellow road signs warning of bikers in the area like they have around the country lanes near cadwell park circuit in lincolnshire, you can't miss those.
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

nope                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7910 seconds. There are 321 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption